Woman head instructors: Where Are They?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sensei is a man and he is a 10th degree black belt in kaate, 10th degree black belt in jujitsu, and 6th degree black belt in judo, his daughter teaches and she is 6th degree in karate/jujitsu and 2nd in judo I believe, don't quote me on that. Anyways, my point? Nothing really, but I know she kicks some serious butt in jujitsu, and she is tough, and she instructs. So there's one more female instructor to add to the list.

• 3 weeks later...

In our organization, we currently have 2 female masters (6th Degree). At least one of them is a school co-owner.

In our Region in Georgia, we have (at least) 2 women school owners.

I have sparred the female 4th degree school owner from Columbus, GA.

She can rip your head off without any problem and is able to take any punishment that can be given. Her skills are superb.

I have found that many of the women in our organization are extremely vicious sparring competitors and I do not mean point sparring, either.

With that in mind, I believe it is a dis-service to not spar females as you would a male. In the real world, women get hit hard, they should be prepared for an attack and to be able to defend themselves in a real situation. Otherwise, why take martial arts?

2nd Degree Black ITA Tae Kwon Do

I'm surprised Pineapple didn't mention this, but one of the highest rankning black belts in Kajukenbo is Grandmaster DeChi Emperado, and I don't think anyone has a problem learning from her after watching her perform just one self-defense technique.

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

Greetings all!

I am a female instructor in Karatedo and Kobudo. I have run my own dojo for the past 25 years. I seem to be one of these older (no I'm not going there) ladies you have been talking about.

I started training when it was rare to see a woman in a dojo. In fact I was the only one for a llllloooonnnngggg time. I trained the same as the guys. Went into tournaments with the guys. And learned the weapons with the guys too.

Sorry but gender doesn't matter in this "sport" !!! Although ladies do better kata than guys. (It's a hip thing!)

Ciao :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry but gender doesn't matter in this "sport" !!! Although ladies do better kata than guys. (It's a hip thing!)

Grrr i wish i could dissagree with you there ^^

My instructor is a 3rd dan (soon 4th hopefully) and shes a woman and I dont think ive met an instructor as good as her yet :D (not counting mirce 6dan his really cool)

Extraordinary abilities can only come from extraordinary effort

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I am a woman, with over 20 years experience in Karate and I run my own school. I also know of one other woman who does the same not too far from me.

There is the odd person who doesn't like being taught by a woman, but genrally things are fine!

--

Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

In my experience, there tends to be some point at which a completely reasonable request for force or change is met with utter refusal. With female students, unfortunately, this seems completely typical.

Whatever point it is where any student, male or female, begins to "be weak" (Not in actual weakness, but in no longer even making the attempt), that point represents the outer limit of their development. Almost always, that limit is well below that needed to become a teacher. Maybe 70% of male students hit that wall and never go beyond it. Maybe 98% of female students do.

Exceedingly frustrating when you're spending the lion's share of your time trying to help get them to do something and they just won't even try.

Usually something like "When i'm standing on my hands, push me over so I can do the falling exercize." and then i'll get barely touched. I didn't ask for superhuman strength, but when someone is in a rooted stance driving with their whole body and legs into me when i'm in a handstand, I should feel enough force to at least give me the momentum I need to do the breakfall I want.. and they won't do it no matter what for months, so I feel disrespected and frustrated and my training is disrupted because they won't even attempt the commitment required to do the drill no matter how I ask. If I have to spend several months of not being able to practice some things with someone because they will not under any circumstances even do more than a feeble symbol for the movement I am supposed to react to, do you think I will support that person for advancement? No. But I ONLY get that treatment from women, and I get it from the majority of them.

Show me some female students that won't lock up at some level of mediocrity and I will show you people who will someday, if they keep working at it, be teachers. But I see very very few. If you are a woman who pushes yourself to do things like that, I congratulate you, but realize that you are likely the only female in your class who has any potential of becoming a teacher, because pretty much every other female in your classes that you see is, or will soon be, simply marking time, absorbing some learning but no longer progressing in any real sense.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia