• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Putting McDojos out of Business

Nishyama

started training in 1943. Shodan in 1946, age 23 director of the JKA. Nidan in 1948. Sandan in 1950

Ozawa

started in 1942. Shodan in 1944. Nidan at university after WWII, Sandan & Yondan in 1955

Enoeda

started in 1952, was a Sandan in 1956

Abe

started in 1954(?), was a yondan in 1964

Ohtsuka

that's a decent point. The only thing though is quantity.... considering how far back these guys were training, I'm willing to bet they were putting in way more than 1-2 hours per day, 2-3 days per week, like many people today do.

started in July 1922, received Shodan 12th Aprill 1924

I'd like to see the person that tries to spread the fact that these guys were in a McDojo :D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i think we probably just should get on with our training and try and make our schools better and more appealing... not by lessening standards....

i think McDojos will always exist.... the nature of people wanting quick results....

what diference does it make as long as we dont compimise the black belt by lowering the bar! the proof will be in the quality of students we have.

Is there truly a need to remove McDojos?

My sister asked me about a particular school for her son. I looked at the school and told her it was a waste of money and likely not beneficial to her son. She enrolled him anyway. Later, she weaseled out of the two year contract she signed.

Even with "buyer beware," there are going to be those who won't listen, and who will 'feed' the monster that is a McDojo. So, once again, is there a need to remove McDojos?

We can argue that there must be standards met, and that if a school fails to meet those standards, then they should not be legitimized. But, who legitimizes them? Organizations?

This particular school was part of an organization. The founder and sole member of this organization was, you guessed it, the instructor. Did his clients know? I'm sure few cared to look into any of it.

So, once again, is there truly a need?

If customers are not going to make the most basic of efforts to protect themselves from shiesters, should we? Should we put on our cape and fly to their rescue? Should we further encourage their complacency, protect them from their own lack of motivation?

In every business, there are those who offer quality, and those who do not. But what protects the consumer? In the U.S., it used to be the Better Business Bureau, but no longer. Now BBB is a good ol' boys club that has lost a lot of its earlier clout.

So, again, is there truly a need?

What are our goals? What do we go for when we enter a martial art? Is it to better ourselves psychologically, or physically? To amass movie-style fancy techniques or to strengthen our job-related combat skills? Are we hoping to gain a feeling of belonging, develop an understanding of Eastern culture? Or are we just wanting to get that cool black belt so we can frame it and put it over our fireplace? Then again, maybe we just need a babysitter.

Everyone has a different agenda. A variety of martial art schools exist to service different consumer needs. There cannot be 'only one.' We aren't talking Highlander here. As long as the interests of consumers differ, so too will the products and services.

Just as some are willing to purchase one $600 used car after another, there are going to be those who insist on leasing their brand new models, then upgrading to infinity and beyond. But even then, it's not quite it.

Many people are willing to purchase substandard furniture at Wal-Mart, rather than purchase expensive, yet durable furniture at a specialty shop. And yet, specialty shops exist, even thrive. Why?

Because the needs of the client differs. While someone may join a dojo without considering its credentials... or quality of training, it may not be because they 'failed' to be a 'smart shopper.' It could very well be convenience, or a social connection.

I know some of the main reasons McDojos do so well is because they 'plan' to grow, and advertise to do so. They park themselves in prime residential neighborhoods, near schools, near malls. Convenient locations, convenient times.

We have Starbucks in every corner... and yet there are coffee houses providing far better quality. Is it the same? No, of course not. Not to us. But to your average consumer, that may be all there is to it.

So, one last time, is there a need to remove McDojos?

No. As far as i'm concerned, let there be 99 billion served. I learn, i grow, i amass knowledge, because that's me. I can grimace when i see a McDojo and watch the mass of students walking through thier doors.

Or, i can smile and think, "ahh, but you do not learn what you must... and so, i am safer."

There are an elite few, but only because a few 'attempt' to be elite. Those who strive, eventually reach high degrees of skill. For martial arts is not merely a physical endeavor, but a mental and spiritual one as well. Those who strive for more than merely physical perfection will eventually travel beyond what a McDojo can provide. Those who do not, let them reach the walls encountered in McDojos, for these will be the ones who do not attempt to attain 'responsibility' through enlightenment. Let them be... substandard. It merely makes us all a bit safer.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

yeah good post - also why fight it - it does you personally no harm.... they're not stealing your students.... because the sort of people that stay at mcdojos are unlikely to want to train as hard or as much as you do..... wheat from the chaff so to speak.

yeah good post - also why fight it - it does you personally no harm.... they're not stealing your students.... because the sort of people that stay at mcdojos are unlikely to want to train as hard or as much as you do..... wheat from the chaff so to speak.

I agree. And if people want to put their kids in a "McDojo" (and let's face it, McDojos are essentially expensive daycares that also have a few adult students) then who are we to argue? It's like saying McDonalds shouldn't exist (to make a direct comparison). They offer cruddy food that is horrible for you and they exist in the hundreds of thousands globally. Should they be put out of business because they offer subpar food (by most "true" chefs' standards)? They supply a product that is in high demand. Same with McDojos.

i agree 100% . we should take care of our own school. if we worry about what the other guys doing. most of us true karate ka dont make a big living teaching any way. theres always tournaments and alot of mcdojo students realize theyve been ripped off when or if 5they enter a open yournament.