• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Putting McDojos out of Business

Some people want to train in a McDojo environment. It is not for me, but who am I to dictate what other people should do?

Couldn't agree less.

**Shrugs**. That doesn't matter. What matters is that it is the truth. If not, how come most McDojos are doing very well for themselves financially, whilst the serious karate dude down the road has to struggle to keep members?

Western sociatey wants quick fixes and instant results. They want their black belt and they want it now! Training? Pah! Why would they want to train and actually earn it?

There is a prominent McDojo in my town. The company have the money to run a 4 full page spread in the papers every few months. It is common knowledge the instruction is sub-standard and that you would probably have more self-defence skills after a tae-bo class, but still people join there. They get to say to their mates that they do a MA, they get to say after a relatively short amount of time that they are X belt, and they don't have to do much more than invest some money into this business.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, AngelaG raised some very valid points (not bashing her in any way; it's just that it pains me to admit that McDojo's are often successful).

Those who have never trained in martial arts before, often times do not know what to look for, and end up falling for "the hype" and the lure of the quick and easy way. In all honesty, if you looked at a group of 100 people who had never trained in martial arts before, how many of them would rather attend the school that was well-hyped and promised a black belt in 2 years, as opposed to the school that didn't advertise much, and insisted that only through hard work, could someone gain a black belt in 3 years?

It is unfortunate, that a large number of those people would rather have the "guaranteed" easy black belt, since they really don't know any better. They probably don't know what to look for when seeking out a school, and might not have had anyone knowledgeable with whom they could converse on such matters. Also, since many of the "McDojo's" have a greater budget, they can afford to spend the $$$ for more dojo improvements (appearance-wise only, of course).

Often times, "McDojos" are willing to fork over some serious $$$ for advertising blitzes, as well as large ads in the Yellow Pages of the phone books, or are willing to spend significant amounts of $$$ for online advertising with various search engines, etc. Such campaigns are very effective, since a lot of the new folks will go with the first place that doesn't chase them away. While it would be nice if the good dojos could do this, many times, it's simply not in the budget to do so.

Will the "McDojos" ever be put out of business? No. As long as people are seeking the quick and easy way, and, as AngelaG stated, are looking for faster gratification, there will always be a crop that such places can harvest. Quantity over quality for these folks.

What's the best way for good dojos to compete with the "McDojos?" One can't exactly easily compete with the "McDojos" when it comes to advertising, nor are most good dojos willing to sacrifice the quality over quantity aspect.

Simply put, it's up to you (the dojo owner), your instructors and students, to bring people to your dojo. Having your instructors and students bringing in prospective students, giving them a good education, encouraging them to train hard, while making them feel at home, is your best source of "free" advertising.

It takes patience, and there can easily be some lean times when the owner of a good dojo has to live on peanut butter, pasta, and bologna for a month or two!!

I like McDojos!

Why? Because they make my school look great!

OK, all kidding aside, I don't care for them BUT they have a right to exist.

Should Yale or MIT say that community colleges or trade schools should not exist because they do not have the standards that they do?

There is a major McDojo chain of schools here. They do a huge business and maybe part of what makes them annoying is the fact that they are successful.

Our school operates out of school cafeterias, church gyms and club houses. We charge very little because of that and our students and parents understand. We would love to have the money that the chain school does. They even built a whole building for themselves !

Here's a question to all of you that I would be interested in hearing your opinion on.

Can a MA school with high standards ever make it as well as a McDojo?

TKD WTF/ITF 2nd Dan

"A Black Belt Is A White Belt That Never Quit"

Can a MA school with high standards ever make it as well as a McDojo?

As well? Yes...

As quickly? Not a chance, unless they have a lot of startup capital to begin with.

Most people are lazy, and they don't want to put in the work required in a traditional school with high standards. They'd rather just have a contractual exchange of I give you money, you give me belt...

Not if you are a ruthless, cynical, brutally honest, and extremely capitalistic entrepreuner that is willing to step on others, use money well, as well as an excellent Martial Artist.

What the !!!! is a 'Mcdojo'?

I am confused as to what you mean by this term, are you talking about small dojos?

Could someone please tell me what you are talking about.

The cool summer breeze passes me by.

What the !!!! is a 'Mcdojo'?

"McDojo" is a term used to describe a dojo that is more interested in quantity over quality, while maximizing profit, and has little regard for tradition.

Think of it as a McDonald's restaurant (hence, the "Mc" part of the term). The burgers you get from such places are nowhere nearly as good as the one you'll get from a smaller restaurant that takes pride in making a burger. From a McDonald's restaurant, you'll get a burger patty that was literally pressed on an industrial strength iron, and comes out dry, whereas from a quality restaurant, you'll get a burger patty that was hand made from freshly ground steak, will still contain all of the flavor and juices, etc.

The bottom line is that the smaller guy can't really make nearly as much $$$ as the McDonald's, and certainly doesn't have the advertising budget, or hype that comes with such a chain.

There will be some people who will go to a McDonald's simply because they want some quick food, and don't care about quality. They want their food NOW, and aren't willing to wait.

"McDojo's" are often times, more profitable than a dojo that takes pride in giving quality instruction. However, the quality of the instructor(s) is generally in doubt at such places, and they use the lure of giving someone a quick and easy black belt in a shorter period of time. Many times, such places will guarantee that you'll get your black belt in 2 years, etc.

They are quite effective in targeting their audiences, much as I hate to admit.

• 2 weeks later...
Some people want to train in a McDojo environment. It is not for me, but who am I to dictate what other people should do?

I agree. My friend doing MAs at a McDojo was horrified to find out how many years it took people in kyokushin to get their blackbelts. And he really thought he would have the same amount of knowledge in one year as we would get in 5-7. Those kind of people want rewards for doing not a whole lot of work. I think it's more okay for little kids, because they are not as focused on long-term goals and things better happen fast or they'll lose interest, but later in life they should re-examine their learning.

"I think therefore I am" Rene Descartes

Nice comments Angela I got no clue what this typhoon character is about with his little remarks but I think you explained it very well. :up:

What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others. - Confucius

i have never really paid attention to what school other people attend.

if i've heard of it, fine.

if i've heard of the teacher, fine.

all that means is that i have a perspective on what they might have done in their class.

what really matters is in the hands.

granted that the school, be it good or bad plays a part in that but people aren't generally stupid.

if something is fishy, they normally know it and, as the saying goes, vote with their feet.

you want to go on a one man crusade to end the skurge of mcdojos?

fine.

i'll just keep training and know that i can play a part in making sure the next generation of students after me, if i decide to teach, gets the same level of training that i did.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.