• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New Shotokan kata

ShotokanKid

Here's a trick...just before you"launch" into the jump, twist your front foot heel to the inside (counterclockwise). It allows you to get a LOT more spring and torque into the jump. Hope this helps...

shi wa hei to de aru

"All are equal in the grave"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

lovely kata and most of you gave perfect advice on performing the kick .

as some one else said this kata should not be rushed .it takes a lot to perform it well and understand it in whole .I still think I can improve on it every time .learning it bit by bit is best like all things . :wink:

never give up !

kinda goofy sounding I know but find a diving coach who trained under Hobey Billingsly from Indiana University. Hobey is a master at kenetics and motion and the jump and spin can be trained. Goofy I know but I have seen martial artists who were divers who were taught by either Hobey or one of his students who have done amazing things in the air.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

• 1 month later...
If you are in southern California, you are likely close to some people who could teach you this quite well. Feel free to contact me privately if you would like my thoughts on instructors in your area.

KarateForums does not allow me to send PMs. Where is good for Shotokan in southern California? I don't live there but I might visit there sometime. I have lots of friends there and some do Shotokan but always looking for more choices. And if you have any recommendations for me to try near NY/NJ, I'd like to hear that as well. I heard from a freind that you are well connected so hopefully you can help get me more options. Thanks in advance.

Where did the Shotokan Unsu kata come from anyway? It doesn't even resemble the Arakaki one. Personally I think this kata was developed out of the need for something flashy to throw off the Shito Ryu guys in competition. Because I have never seen any footage of Funakoshi performing it, and no record of anyone doing it in Shotokan really before his death. Just some food for thought (and hopefully a conversation starter) :P

John

Perhaps Funakoshi changed the kata and was working on it to a point but died before he could complete it? Afterwards it was added? It would be interesting to see both kata performed together.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt