• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For People who have Practise swords I have a question

Is the Hanwei Practicial Katana good for cutting and stuff? Im not in Kendo or anything like that yet but im not the type who swings blades wildly. How I came across this sword in the first place was I was in Reliks(a sword store) and i was looking at the decorative blades then I saw a black Katana next to a Samurai armor Statue( a big one full size) so I looked at the katana thinking it was decorative until it was removed from the saya and the blade looked amazing needless to say i bought the sword mostly for decoration. What im asking is it a good "starter sword" mind you i would like to show people how sharp it is for demostartion purposes cus they need to know plus alot people ALWAYS ask that the only want to do demo cuts thats what my main use of the blade will be even though it would be rare but still

All in all the Sword is great

28 movies, 50 years Godzilla is King of the Monsters

"nothing like a good workout" Paul Pheonix

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well I don't own a katana yet but I have been very carefully researching the one I will one day own for about a year and a half. So I'll let you in on a couple of things.

1.) The Paul Chen/Hanwei Practical Katana comes a little on the dull side and is know for being the most unforgiving blade on the planet. Most dojo's that practice cutting ban this sword and the "plus" version by name. They are known for snapping with the slightest mistake in technique.

2.) Combine these facts with the fact that you don't know how to swing one I would highly (repeat) highly suggest you not cut anything. Twigs or plastic bottles might work, but seriously you are asking for it every time you hit anything with that thing without proper technique.

3.) A sword most trained cutters would feel safe using usually costs around $1000. A sword that could handle a "type who swings blades wildly" is likely to cost $7000. I am somewhat thankful that this is the case. I mean if cheap indestructible blades existed then those who wildly swing sharp things would likely end the population of the earth, to include themselves.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

• 1 month later...

I have a Paul Chen practical katana and its so far been the best I've owned. Its served me well in practice and came as sharp as I would have expected, not dull at all.

Well I don't own a katana yet but I have been very carefully researching the one I will one day own for about a year and a half. So I'll let you in on a couple of things.

1.) The Paul Chen/Hanwei Practical Katana comes a little on the dull side and is know for being the most unforgiving blade on the planet. Most dojo's that practice cutting ban this sword and the "plus" version by name. They are known for snapping with the slightest mistake in technique.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

If you want a sword for cutting get at least a Bugei hand forged swords. Bugei Tading Company has some very good swords, but be prepared to pay out the yingyang for one. My wife is a Kenjutsu BB and she uses a custom forged sword.

If it is O.K. I would like to give you some advice? If you have no training with a sword, please go buy a bokken and save yourself some trips to the emergency room.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

Yeah, Get a bokken before you get a live blade...............DEFINANTLY.

As for PaulChens range, Ive met people that dont like the practical-range, But;

I own a prac-plus gen-5 (my 2nd cheapest sword, $750AU)

and it is AWSOME for cutting. Ive been using it on a bi-daily basis, to perform tameshigiri on things as thich as 8'' thick bamboo, and it has suffered nothing but minor scratches.

The only major drawback with the Hanwei range, IMO, they require a tediously large amount of maintenance to keep in good nick.

Can you afford $30 worth of Oil/parrafin a month for cleaning??? Along with hours of cleaning and polishing???

The problem with the practicals, as opposed to the plusses, is that the handle has only 1 pin, and the rest of the tang is glued.

I STRONGLY RECCOMEND YOU CHECK THE HANDLE FOR ANY CRACKS OR FLAWS BEFORE YOU START CUTTING, as this could be fatal.

Anyways,

IMHO, the practical/practical-plus is one of the BEST beginner sword you could get your hands on.

As for the post on proper technique, I completely agree.

Even the smallest flaw in technique can snap a hardened-blade when doing a medium-large cut.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I'm very reluctant to give you any advice short of:

"TEST CUTTING WITH A STORE BOUGHT BLADE WITH NO FORMAL INSTRUCTION? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FRIGGIN GOURD???!!!?!"

Ahem. Sorry.

Seriously. You know what the best sword for a beginner to use is? The kind that they should use for at least 5 years before even moving on the next step?

Come closer, I will tell you my secrets...

Closer...

OK, not that close. Seriously, have an Altoid. :)

OK, I will tell you.

Are you ready?

the BO.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

:lol: I'm sorry but that's funny because it's true. Certainly in the case of poeple who don't have a sword instructor.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Hey dont worry i dont plan on using it in a few years or till a find a school or instructor.I already have the Blade oil and i have to clean it in 3 weeks but i should at least learn how to clean and mantain a live blade. I also have a wallhanger sword signed by Dave Carradine

28 movies, 50 years Godzilla is King of the Monsters

"nothing like a good workout" Paul Pheonix