• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

professional instructor resources...

Hi everyone,

You know they say there is never a "right" time for a person to take on a new responsibility, and if you wait for the right moment, you'll probably be dead first. :)

With my current job closing out in September, I've been giving serious thought to opening a commercial studio. Right now I'm in the "homework" phase, reading as much as I can on the subject(s) before deciding where to go.

My question is, are there any good resources out there for someone who is starting out fairly fresh? I know that there are professional groups such as NAPMA, etc. I'm curious as to *how* beneficial these groups are, or if it's a lot of common sense stuff wrapped up in an expensive package.

Any online tools or discussion groups geared towards more commercial schools? It seems like most groups are geared towards the student or to smaller schools (and that is fine) but I've never really found a group out there to answer more business-type questions.

Thanks!

Tom

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

http://www.masuccess.com/

http://www.napma.com/

We use these two resources as well as a host of others. I've found the MAIA program to be HIGHLY beneficial. The monthly packet includes training tips, management tips, and a host of other invaluable information in cd and DVD format.

I hold MAIA in a very high regard. That is not to take anyting away from napma either, but MAIA has a much more user friendly format.

good luck and congrat's on your decision.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

You can definitely pull it off. It just takes a good location and a good, viable plan.

I made the same decision you are faced with early last year and I couldn't be happier. It took a while to find the perfect location, and even longer for the finish out, but I finally got open in October. Today we are well ahead of the projections in our original business plan, and we have a very happy membership that's giving us great word-of-mouth advertising and referrals.

Good Luck!!

Bill,

Glad to hear that you're doing well! I've given some thought to some nearby locations. There's a nearby strip mall that is a little old, but there's a McDonalds, Kroger, Applebees, and Dairy Queen there as well.. Plenty of family opportunities.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard that napma is good, but they filed for bankrupcy about three months ago (and were then bought by Century Martial Arts).

That may be something to think about.....

pressureguy

http://www.backyardmartialarts.org

]===[------------------------>

http://www.backyardmartialarts.org

]===[------------------------>

I've looked into it several times myself...and there's a lot of good info, but I have to say that most of what I've read usually is common sense, and most of the day-to-day marketing and business advice revolves around getting yourself a billing company, using a tiered pricing system depending on what "club" they want to join, etc...which I really don't wantto get into.

Just realize it takes a good stash money to get started, unless you find the perfect location that isn't going to charge you much. Eventhen, early on you will likely be paying out more than you take in.

If you do try to negotiate a lease, try to get the firstfew months free so that you can build up a student base and get any needed construction done.I've heard many landlords will work with you on that one.

You'll probably want to see a lwyer, and am accountant, to make sure you have everything you need in place, and that will cost money, too.

By all means, go for it if you can. I'm hoping to do the same in a few years, but i'm trying to build up my student base through a YMCA program first, as you already know.

It's a good place to start if you don't go commercial, but you won't make a living off of it.