• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Age Limit in Martial Arts?

Kurazaki

Don't confuse maturity with age, would you say to her sorry your too young.

Maturity pretty much comes with age.

And yes, I would generally say that 7 year old would have been too young to begin training a martial art.

I don't believe in "junior black belts". A person who has achieved a black belt should have a body and ability that allows him or her to practice with other (adult) black belts properly, without holding back too much. A child under ~16 years of age is not ready for this.

Of course, other dojo and other arts are free to have groups for 5 year olds (or even for toddlers) and give any belt to anyone. It's actually better that way - I don't have to see kids in a place I train or teach.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All, this is my first post, and I'd like to apologise in advance if I accidentally say anything wrong.

Firstly, I'm a 25 year old civil servant taking up karate classes in Seitokukan Goju-Ryu Karate in Singapore.

My dream is to someday be able to teach Karate, but there are a few things bugging me lately : one, I'm 25! Most Sensei and Shihans I know of start Karate from 12-19, and none of them have ever started Karate later than 20 - is this a factor? I'm not particularly talented, but I do put in effort (More so than others because I try to catch up with the youngsters) and commitment. So far I'm a 6th Kyu, and I'm still in training, so far for the past 9 months or so.

Second, I am really really stiff. (I used to take up boxing and didn't use my legs much to kick) I'm training now to re-stretch my legs, but could it be possible I'm just chasing a pipedream when I think of teaching Karate?

Please advise! :(

You're so young, maybe you should wait a few years. Only kidding.

I'm 53 yrs. old and started training again after a 30yr. hiatus. I was a 2nd kyu when I stopped back then. After training again for 10yrs. this time, I was recently promoted to Sandan BB. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would get this far. My Sandan BB is icing on the cake, so to speak. Keep up the good work, train hard and often. You'll make it. :)

Carl

Age Limit:

I started in Okinawan Goju-Ryu Karate at the tender age of 45. I am now 50 and going to test for Shodon soon. I got into it because a friend of mine says it is a great way to stay in shape.

Thank you all

goju-dave

Good luck, goju-dave. :)

Carl

I tend to agree, personality is a key factor. But so is understanding. The philosophies of the art is very important, and could a 6 year old understand? I doubt they could understand it, but I know they could understand the teachings of not it being violent. Personally, I think 8 would be the youngest to start out training.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I was recently in Glasgow where I met someone who graded for Shodan at 65. He didn't do the same grading as everyone else, and his physical condition wasn't the same but he did very well.

He was asked to demonstrate Bunkai and to teach a class along with his Kihon. He was very positive pre grading and didn't seem at all nervous, though it meant so much to him he hugged everyone afterwards!! A true karateka.. I just hope that I'm as active when I'm his age! :karate:

--

Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

As do I!

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

My students over the years have ranged in age from a lil girl who had just turned 4, all the way up to a nice lil old lady who was 76.....it was awesome when she got her Shodan ! The lil girl, at the age of 4, was so impressive in her intensity, enthusiasm, AND ability, I can honestly say that she was one of my best students, so much so that it truly was MY honor to teach her. I myself started at the age of 7, back in 1973 after seeing Enter the Dragon, and havent stopped since.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

I have spent a lot of time recently reading studies on this issue.

The lastest research shows that older age groups can do extremely well. A man gets to maximum strength at about 20-22. This same person at age 65 will only be down in strength by 15%. The same holds true for other factors like endurance, speed, power etc.

However there are many older athletes who out performing their perfomances from when they were younger.

The recent studies are quite fascinating. I am 48 and am fitter and faster than I was when I young. Mind you I havent stopped training since I was age 7.

There is case history after case history of guys like a man in england who is 59 and winning european marathons well ahead of younger and highly trained runners.

In a James Fixx's book Maximum Sports Performance he devotes a whole chapter called "Age and the Athlete" with some very surprising data from studies.

The bottomline from recent studies debunks completely the old idea that you have to be young to do well in sports. In fact the older athletes has advantages the younger person does not have.. experience.

From what I have read recently, I am very optimistic about my future training.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing