• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Age Limit in Martial Arts?

Kurazaki

Age Limit:

I started in Okinawan Goju-Ryu Karate at the tender age of 45. I am now 50 and going to test for Shodon soon. I got into it because a friend of mine says it is a great way to stay in shape.

Thank you all

goju-dave

1st Kyu Brown Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My father is 65 and he's practiced Shin-Shin Toitsu Aikido, Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, PPCT, and Tai Chi. I'm trying to convince him to start up Karate though.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

well, we recently promoted a student to shodan. he's started about 4 years ago he's over 30 now. when i get lazy when sensei gets lazy i let him handle the class. i think older means more mature and definitely a good teacher. well, compared to 23 year old black belts. :)

why did we surrender lord?

Not an age limit but Im really anit kids in karate.

1. I don't think they understand the techinque enough to appy it.

2. Sure there are exceptions but in general they disrupt class or slow class down. Sorry I hate doing rising blocks for 2 hrs when Ive been at it 12 years.

3. As a teacher you end up being a babysitter more so than a teacher.

4. NEVER should a person below the age of 15 IMO be given a black belt. IMO a black belt means you can take care of yourself in a fight vs any person one on one and not may 6 year olds can do that.

BUT to answer you question your never to old just to young.

ARE YOU SERIOUS :kaioken:

So you know where I'm coming from, let me say this:

My daughter started taking Kenpo at age 7, she will be 11 in a few months. She goes to class 4-5 times a week plus demo team practice and tournaments, she is very serious about her training.

Here is her website: Danielle's Karate Website

Don't confuse maturity with age, would you say to her sorry your too young. :down:

Give children a chance they may suprise you. Set a good example and take pride in teaching them.

This is only my opinion :uhoh: which is biased.

Hang in there it's worth it!!

By the way, you should FEEL her "apply" 5 swords, Crossing Talon, etc...

one more thing she is up for Junior Black Belt in about 2 years.

I apoligize if I offended anyone.

Kenpo Training may not be a Lifetime Journey, but it's Definitely the Journey of a Lifetime!!

Let me apologize for my previous rant. :uhoh:

My daughter will be up for her Junior Black Belt in 2 years at age 13 (provided she puts in the required class time, completes the program, demonstrates proficient execution of all kata/techniques/sparring and passes a 3 day test). An additional 2-3 years is required for a 1st degree Adult Black Belt (she would be almost 16) 8+ years of training!!

Patience, Modesty, Courtesy, Integrity, Perserverance, Courage, Self-Control, Indominable Spirit

4. NEVER should a person below the age of 15 IMO be given a black belt. IMO a black belt means you can take care of yourself in a fight vs any person one on one and not may 6 year olds can do that.

Black Belt means you can take care of yourself in a fight vs any person one on one???????????????????????

Kenpo Training may not be a Lifetime Journey, but it's Definitely the Journey of a Lifetime!!

I tend to agree a line should be drawn, because it isn't just about physical techniques, it must also be about the maturity of the individual. The knowledge and understanding of the style's philosophies should also be considered. It has to go beyond the child just repeating the words you give them; there must be understanding.

- Sun-tzu

I tend to agree a line should be drawn, because it isn't just about physical techniques, it must also be about the maturity of the individual. The knowledge and understanding of the style's philosophies should also be considered. It has to go beyond the child just repeating the words you give them; there must be understanding.

Well said!!

I may not agree with a given post, but after reading all the posts, I do respect the other points of view.

This forum is an excellent place to learn. :)

If you teach young Martial Artists, be sure to show them the respect that they have earned no matter the age.

Thank you

Also well said :D

- Sun-tzu