Kurazaki

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started at 40. A good number seem to start at around 40 in our dojo. Sure not as many as the teens, but I think it is for simular reasons as I did. It is something I always wanted to do, but finally did something about it.

It takes me longer to learn new Kata and I am not as fast as the young'ens but I make up for this by working at it hard.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

You guys are-the-greatest.

I've always though my Sensei had reservations about my age, but as long as I know that I can make it, I'll do it! :karate:

Status : Blue Belt in Goju Ryu Karate, member of Spo-chan coaching

You've been encouraged as well as myself Kurazaki! These people ARE really great. Lets keep working hard to achieve our goals :karate:

The sand bringeth and the sand taketh away...

Disciple of Master Jules' Temple of Sand Dojo

Not an age limit but Im really anit kids in karate.

1. I don't think they understand the techinque enough to appy it.

2. Sure there are exceptions but in general they disrupt class or slow class down. Sorry I hate doing rising blocks for 2 hrs when Ive been at it 12 years.

3. As a teacher you end up being a babysitter more so than a teacher.

4. NEVER should a person below the age of 15 IMO be given a black belt. IMO a black belt means you can take care of yourself in a fight vs any person one on one and not may 6 year olds can do that.

BUT to answer you question your never to old just to young.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I'd have to take it on a case-by-case basis.

It is logical to assume, that younger children are neither physically nor mentally ready, to take on the responsibilities of being a yudansha. Kids will be kids, after all, and often enough, might be "horsing around" a bit, or might fidget during class. While this is certainly not acceptable behavior for a karate-ka, it is especially unacceptable for a yudansha, since the other students in the class will look up to the black belts as examples. By going with the "absolutely nobody under the age of (insert number here) can become a shodan," you're simply playing the percentages, and that's acceptable.

Once in a while, you're going to run into brilliant and talented children that are also mature beyond their years. In one of my old dojos, we had a requirement that someone had to be 16 years of age to become a black belt. There was (at the time) a 14 year old boy who was a genius, and more mature than some of the 18 year olds. His technique was excellent, and there was nothing more to be gained by holding him at his brown belt rank. That was one of the times we made an exception to the rule. He's now 26 years old, and one of the full-fledged instructors, and a shining example.

The way I see it, if a teacher has to mull over the consequences of breaking with traditional rules to allow someone (who is ready and deserves it) to test at an earlier age, then that teacher should be happy that he is blessed with having such a student.

Not an age limit but Im really anit kids in karate.

Well kids in our dojo do not get as much focus on the Bunkai of Kata and a lot of the secrets of MA. Of course even for adults a lot of this is left until you are a full black belt. Kids are not able to get a full black belt in our dojo until I think the age of 16.

Now I believe Karate is great for kids, at least the way it is taught at our dojo. I think it helps with focus, self confidence, fitness to name a few areas.

Not to mention that kids seem to learn this stuff super quickly. As you get older it gets slower (from what I have seen and been told). It takes me a long time to learn a new kata, while my daughter (11 going on 16 lol) learns the basics of it after seeing it about twice.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate