• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New instructor lesson plan help

Together with 2 other instructor we have taken over the running of the local club. We are only a small club just under 50 at the moment.

We are divided over whether we should be using lesson plans for the weeks lessons.

We all can not make every lesson which is only twice a week of juniors and three times a week for seniors.

I believe that for us to give the best instruction to the students we need to know what has been given to them the previous lessons. The basic can always done each lesson.

The problem at the moment we have a few high belts but a lot of lower belts.

The higher belts seem to be missing out of important instruction.

I am looking for direction and advice in relation to lesson plans.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

http://www.turtlepress.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=14

Click there for a book called "Teaching the Martial Arts" by Sang Kim.

Also he has several other books, which are listed at the bottom of the screen like books on teaching kids, running schools, and other topics.

pressureguy

]===[------------------------>

http://www.backyardmartialarts.org

Hey, do me a favor and post here what you think of the book when you get it in.

I have been wanting to order it and was about today when I saw your posting.

I probably will order it anyway from target.com (they have free shipping right now).

pressureguy

Using lesson plans are a great aid for Making classes run smoothly as for keeping track of what they have done before, well as long as the dojo is small you should be able to but I think this is easier. Assign techniques that they are responsible for at each belt level as well as kata and self defense

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

Lesson plans are the way to go. If you are not careful you will begin to notice that the students are progressing in some areas but lacking in others, then you will have to play catch up. We have a basic lesson plan that includes the techniques that are required for each level and at the top it has columns with date then by each technique it has a blank to check off under each date column. That way if something happens and one of the instructors can't be there anyone can walk in pick up the plan and pick out what they need to cover. With mixed levels in the same class we will start out with the technique breakdown for beginners and make the intermediate and advanced follow the beginners speed, then we will ask the beginners to step off the floor and allow the intermediate and advanced to perform the same techniques at their pace. Hope this helps.

I dunno... i tend to make up lesson plans off the top of my head based on my training and what i've never seen being done that needs to be worked on. except with the cubs... with them there has to be a plan. written. lol

Dee C.

Normal ( 'nor-m&l)-

an adj. used by humans to stereotype

I think lesson plans are needed. Just don't alow yourself to be married to them.

You need lesson plans to make sure you have balanced all of the training. But sometimes, depending on the mood of the class, how they are progressing, etc, you might need to deviate or completely throw out that days plan.

If the class seems a little lazy that day you might switch up and do some more energetic items to get the class's blood pumping.

Or you might want to spend some more time on something that the class is having difficulty with.

Some teachers can do a class "off the cuff" but that usually takes years of experience.

So, I say, do a plan. But use it as a guideline not as a hard fast rule.

TKD WTF/ITF 2nd Dan

"A Black Belt Is A White Belt That Never Quit"