• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Currently train Kyokushin, should i cross-train Muay Thai?

I am currently training in Kyokushin Karate at a Dojo under Tats Nakamura. I have a friend who has been training Muay Thai for quite a while and is fairly advanced in the style. I was wondering if it would be a good idea for me to train kyokushin (about 3 times a week at the dojo as it is right now) at the dojo and cross-train Muay Thai with him (maybe once a week/once every two-weeks/twice a week depending on our schedules). I figured it would benefit me because i read in another thread that kyokushin is lackin in punches (which i highly doubt, but hey i dont kno everything), knees, elbows and clinches. This is something i think i could learn from Muay Thai.

What do you guys think? I am basically a newb in both styles. I think i could handle learning both, but what do you guys know from experience, would it be a good idea to crosstrain like this. In the future once im fairly proficient at these i would cross-train in a grappling art, but tahts for the future.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

any other opinions? I talked to another friend of mine and he said i should just stick to kyokushin for now cuz ill just get confused. If i WAS to crosstrain in muay thai. What should i take from Muay Thai and wat should i keep from Kyokushin. I heard from Muay Thai practicioners that the muay thai kick is the strongest. But i heard from my friend (who is kickboxing champion of western canada) and he said that (even tho they use the muay thai kick) the kyokushin kicks are EXTREMELY powerful, he also said its amazing because the kyokushin guys will kick your head with full power even if they are right up against you. This opposes wat they learn in kickiboxing/thai boxing. What do you guys think? And i would appreciate and objective view aswell, since i do understand that most of the people in this forum probably train muay thai.

Kyokushin does have its weaknesses.Lack of head punches/defences, no grabbing/throwing/clinching/ground etc.

But then most arts have weak areas.Muay Thai also.

Which is why cross training is a good idea if you want to be able to deal with a variety of opponents.

BUT, I reccommend getting a strong foundation in one style first (preferably a dan rank) before you start trying to combine arts. Otherwise it just gets too confusing for your body.You have to repeat techniques over and over to comit them to muscle memory.If you try to learn contradictory techniques you will impare the learning process and learn slower.

Personally I prefer MT. But I did kyokushin for 2 years before I did MT, and I'm glad I did. Actually if I had to do it over again I would stick at Kyokushin longer.Kyokushin is great for developing fighting spirit, physical and mental toughness, stamina and power.Its a good base from which you can extend later.

Dont make the mistake of trying to learn too much too quickly.

I learnt this the hard way.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest it only after you have mastered Kyokushin more. Because, fighting principles might differe and you might get confused.

the kyokushin kicks are EXTREMELY powerful, he also said its amazing because the kyokushin guys will kick your head with full power even if they are right up against you.

also........kyokushin lowline kicks, if trained correctly, can be the most devastating kick to your opponent, Many victories have been one with gedan-mawashi as a finisher.

from what ive trained, and who ive faught, i think there is more body science behind kyokushin technique, which takes a long while to even remotely master, whereas muai-thai is more brutal and straight to the point from the beginning.

other than that, there are dojos in australia which teach whole systems of both Kyokushin and Muai-Thai under one roof.

i personally dont think the two styles are that much different, only the views of those who practice them.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

hhhhmmmmmmmm............

come to think of it, IMHO, just stick to Kyokushin, if you want to train in different aspects of selfdefence or fighting, talk to your instructor and tell them (politely of course,) the areas you would like to increase your skill and see if they will come to compromises with you.

i dont really see why you want to start KB though, unless its just for convenience for more training, as Kyokushin already has a strong basis for grappling, striking and distancing.......

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

the kyokushin kicks are EXTREMELY powerful, he also said its amazing because the kyokushin guys will kick your head with full power even if they are right up against you.

also........kyokushin lowline kicks, if trained correctly, can be the most devastating kick to your opponent, Many victories have been one with gedan-mawashi as a finisher.

from what ive trained, and who ive faught, i think there is more body science behind kyokushin technique, which takes a long while to even remotely master, whereas muai-thai is more brutal and straight to the point from the beginning.

other than that, there are dojos in australia which teach whole systems of both Kyokushin and Muai-Thai under one roof.

i personally dont think the two styles are that much different, only the views of those who practice them.

the low kick they use is more evidence of the influence thai boxing has had on kyokushin. I would guess that this is why alot of the clubs where you are teach kyokushin and thai boxing under the same roof.