• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ki / Qi / Chi

Does Ki exist?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Does Ki exist?

• Ki doesn't exist. Everything the ki model tries to explain can be explained with body mechanics, biophysics, and psychology. There is no need to postulate some mysterious force. Science can explain it.
    • Ki exists absolutely. Ki is an energy, a living force, a spirit that can be used to increase your strength, throw people around, etc. Subjective experience shows that ki is real. It is the power of the mind in union with the body.
    • Ki may or may not exist. The ki model allows you to visualize how to increase your strength, throw people around, etc.--it doesn't matter if it exists or not. If someone invents a model that is easier to visualize, then maybe I will switch to it.

While i'm not religious and answered #1 (Doesn't exist but a good tool) I would like to mention that there's no shortage of history of Christian figures - saints, monks, and such - claiming feats that in China are attributed to "Chi". (and which I attribute to trained body control and kinesthetics, along with the occasional bit of stage magic and applied physics)

Edited by JusticeZero

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe it nor do I disbelieve it.

I have seen demonstrations which are very convincing, but have yet to feel 'qi' myself. I'm not a skeptic, rather, I would like to experience it, but have no way to do so due to a lack of competent masters available to me in my area.

I also do not think of daoism as a raligion, so I think we're safe in that aspect, pakerlineage.

It was merely a compilation of thinkings and bahaviors that are the 'way to enlightenment.'

Since we as christians already have found that enlightenment, we don't have need for searching for it, but we would do well to learn some lessons that the tao teaches. i.e. development of virtue being one's chief task. The Three Jewels to be sought are compassion, moderation and humility.

Every daoist seeks these three virtues. A daoist is also supposed to stop and thoroughly think through each and every action and decide whether it is basically good or bad. My study of the tao has had a profound impact on my parenting for one thing. I am very patient and after studying the tao have become very slow to irritability.

While I am a steadfast Lutheran, I also have found no harm in implementing some of the basic tenants of the Tao te Ching in my daily life. My life and soul belong to Christ, and I try to emulate his behavior, but ffind it easier to do so while deep in contemplation of my action and striving to cultivate my virtue. Basic teachings of the tao.

I have found no teachings in either the Tao te Ching or the NIV Holy Bible that contradict each other when given enough contemplation. There would be a problem if you wanted to accept each as its own true and only way, for example, god says "I am the way and the life" and the Tao states "Truly, if one uses the Way as one's instrument, the results

will be like the Way; if one uses the 'power' as one's

instrument, the results will be like the power. If one uses

what is the reverse of the 'power', the results will be the

reverse of the 'power'. For to those who have conformed

themselves to the Way, the Way readily lends its power.

To those who have conformed themselves to the power,

the power readily lends more power. While to those who

conform themselves to inefficacy, inefficacy readily lends its

ineffectiveness."

The Tao isn;'t claiming that they 'way' here is the only way you should believe, but it is a 'way' to conduct yourself. There are some references that are contradictory to my beliefs that I simply omit. The way spoken of in the Bible is the way to heaven, or salvation. The way in the Tao is the way of striving for virtue. Basically a code governing daily behavior and life.

Hopefully I didn't ramble on too much, but I wanted to try to clear up some misgivings about beign christian and rejecting all things relating to Eastern Philosophy.

Good day and godspeed.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

I believe Chi does exist. As a novice I haven't yet really come across it in a combat situation, however I have sensed it at other times, through shiatsu and acupressure. So there. :wink:

[/img]