• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ki / Qi / Chi

Does Ki exist?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Does Ki exist?

• Ki doesn't exist. Everything the ki model tries to explain can be explained with body mechanics, biophysics, and psychology. There is no need to postulate some mysterious force. Science can explain it.
    • Ki exists absolutely. Ki is an energy, a living force, a spirit that can be used to increase your strength, throw people around, etc. Subjective experience shows that ki is real. It is the power of the mind in union with the body.
    • Ki may or may not exist. The ki model allows you to visualize how to increase your strength, throw people around, etc.--it doesn't matter if it exists or not. If someone invents a model that is easier to visualize, then maybe I will switch to it.

if i wanted to go and learn how to use it what styles teach you how to use it?

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if i wanted to go and learn how to use it what styles teach you how to use it?

Several. I suppose it depends on your interest and the availability of styles in your area as to which one is best . Qigong is solely devoted to it , but many many styles teach it as a regular part of the ciriculum. Aikido and Tai Chi are ussually availalable just about every where. Alot of Karate schools have specific training in certain aspects of it , and is very available just about everywhere. And several other styles as well . I would suggest to do a search on a few arts and see what application you are most interested in . I think you will find it very rewarding .

We are not so much individual beings as individual points of perception within one immense being.

I don't really think that the idea of ki contradicts science at all. If you look at the advent of things in theoretical physics like string theory, that asserts that all basic components of the universe are made out of the same basic component, a wiggling piece of vibrating "string", then everything is essesntially the same - solid , liquid, electricity etc. Mental activity has also been shown to have electrochemical energy which is no less substantial in it's own way than solid matter. It stands to reason then that with enough focus and direction the mind could alter the physical world - as the line between the two is not truly as solid as it would first apear.

my 2 cents

"I once thought that life was a mixed bag, now I know it's just a bag of all"

• 3 weeks later...

The mind has a funny way of playing tricks on the body, just as the body has funny ways of playing tricks on the mind. I've been playing with some chi-gung exercises, white crane, and bagua for a while to realize this. I try to imagine that if chi did exist where I want it to go. Blood flows to those areas of the body accordingly, providing a tingling sensation and sometimes heat and confirming what it is I just imagined. While difficult at first, it's gotten easier with practice. I'm not going to delude myself with the mysticism behind it or bother with the science of it if there is any. Chi-gung practice as well as white crane and bagua has increased my concentration and sharpened my ability to read my body. I view it as purely a mental construct and a means to an end. I vote for option number 3.

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For Christians, the chi shold not, in my opinion, exist. We believe not in the Tao, but in God. Find me a place in the Bible where somebody used their internal energy to fight somebody, and then maybe I'll believe you.

But you can't, so don't bother.

The Chi/Ki comes from Taoism, which states that there is an invisible thread that ties us together with every living thing on this earth. Ever tried to draw energy from a monkey? I have no idea what relevance that has, but it's certainly an amusing mental picture.

Does your body have internal energy? Yes - you're alive, aren't you? Is this energy supernatural? Not unless you've been hanging out in Chernobyl too much.

So, what about all of you who claim to have experienced it? In my opinion, this is like the no-touch knock out - it's simply a matter of you believing that this person has some sort of power beyond their normal state. If I told a bunch of people who had utmost respect for me that I was capable of making them hot or cold with my mind, after a while, they would believe me.

Of course, let me finish with this - if the Chi gives you peace, and makes your life better - who am I to stop you?

Peace;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker