• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just starting out in Karate Training

Bama Crimson

I want to begin training in Karate. I would like some pointers-

1) I know there are many styles of Karate. I am a graduate student, and I want to train with a school in the town I live in now. But I know I won't be in that town long term. I should train in a style of Karate that is commonly taught so I can find a new school when I am done with school no matter where I end up.

2) My goals are a) Physical fitness b) to eventually do competitions c) and to hopefully become a black belt (just because I believe if you do something it should be done right). I ordered the three from most important to not as important.

What style(s) would be best for me?

3) Any pointers on how to find a good school would also be helpful, such as what things would seem to indicate that the school is a good one and the instructors are qualified to teach, and what things indicate that the quality of the school is not good.

Thanks

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride, and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." -Alabama Coaching Legend Paul "Bear" Bryant.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi there! Welcome to Karate Forums.

Well, if you're looking for 'popular' styles of karate, then I'd say that Shotokan karate was probably the most popular. However, even if you pick up the basics in one style but have to switch to another style when you move town then don't worry about it.

As for your goals, you'll be able to imporve your physical fitness no matter what style you train in. Regarding competitions, some styles encourage competition participation and other styles are more against comps. However, that's more to do with each individual instructor than the style itself. Styles that tend to compete in competitions include Wado-Ryu, Shotokan and Kyokushin.

When you are looking about for a school, see if you can get a personal recommendation on a place. If you know someone who already trains or has trained at a particular karate school then you'll be able to get a more detailed opinion of the place. When you're comparing karate schools, think about the price that you'll be paying there and the distance from your house. Also, consider how many times per week they will let you train. If one school chrges (for example) $50 a month but will only let you train once a week then it's worse value than a school that charges $85 a month but lets you train 3x a week.

For any martial arts schools that you visit try out at least 2 lessons at the place. One lesson might not give you enough of a feel for the place. Also, you might have trained on a night where the class is doing something completely different from normal. Visiting that club again will give you a better feel for it.

See if any karate school that you go to is registered with an organisation. Don't worry if they're not - some instructors prefer to be independent. However, its easier to check out credentials and background if the instructor & club are registered. If the instructor claims he has trained with Mr X and Sensei Y, then see if you can track Mr X and Sensei Y down - ask them of their opinions about your potential instructor.

Be wary of any instructor or school that won't let you look round or watch a lesson for free - they may have something to hide that they don't want you to see until they've got money from you. Also be careful of instructors that won't answer questions about the school. Even if that instructor has been asked that question a 1000 times before they should still be polite and helpful to you - after all, you are a potential paying customer.

Also be wary of schools that guarantee that you'll become a blackbelt, or promise that you'll earn your blackbelt in a very short space of time (usually 18 months or less). Such clubs will probably be "belt-factory"/"McDojo"-types and the instruction may be inferior to other schools in the area. remember, its better to earn your blackbelt in (for example) 5 years under a competent instructor than it is to get a blackbelt in a couple of years from someone who can't teach and is more interested in money and testing-fees.

Finally, remember, it's your hard-earned $£$£ that you'll be parting with. If you feel unhappy about a particular school then don't train there. Take your custom elsewhere.

Good luck in your search for a martial arts club. I hope that you find a school you enjoy training at. :)

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask. It can be very bewildering being a beginner to the world of martial arts. :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

"belt-factory"/"McDojo" lol.

anyways, im soon to be grading for my black in Goju-Ryu and i love it. Ive sampled many martial arts and Goju-Ryu in my opinion is the most well rounded. Be conscious that you may start out slowly, atleast in my dojo we stick pretty much to the basics around orange belt..but you will later realize the importance of this. from orange on is when i starts to get interesting...soft techniques, hard techniques, circular movements and linear attacks. it is quite the martial art mosaic.

"Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battle field."

aefibird's statements ring true, and covered a good deal of practical caution that everyone should have.

When you look for a school, do as previously stated, and observe a class or two, and even take a lesson or two. Almost all schools will allow you to take a couple of free lessons.

It is important to realize, that good instructors come in all shapes and sizes, with different demeanors. Some are kind, others may be harda****, etc., but regardless of the demeanor, though, a good instructor that expects to be respected by the students, also respects the students. There is, after all, a difference between constructive criticism (even if it's somewhat harsh), and flat-out insulting on a continual basis.

Thanks for the pointers, they will definately help me out.

I did take Kung Fu when I was 12 and stuck with it for about a year. A couple of things that turned me off and cause me to quit were

1) There were no plans to take us to a competition of any kind....I don't know if this is because competition was not a focus of the art and school or not. When I asked about competition, I was not given a straight forward answer.

2) Lack of a clear ranking system. I did not know what level I was really at or what rank I was other than a "beginner". I did not know if I was getting better or not.

3) The discipline level was strict, especially for a youth class. Corporal punishment was used on my best friend who was training with me when he messed up a couple of times because his dad was an instructor at the school. It was never used on me but it scared me half to death.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride, and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." -Alabama Coaching Legend Paul "Bear" Bryant.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but... what kind of punishment, Bama Crimson?

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

If you really want to know.....

The man made my friend do push ups (nothing wrong with that) but he also beat him over the back and shoulders with a sparing staff at near full force while he did the push ups. Yes, the staff was padded but if you hit someone hard with those things it still does not feel good at all.

honestly your not missing much in competitions. there are very few ive been to that were run smoothly...and in sparring it is very tuough to determine a real winner - the jugdes cant see everything.

although it is nice to go to a tournement to face new people you have never fought before.

I have had some very horrible tournement expiriences....especially the karate moms yelling at thier kids to kill the other kid......i walked out of that one.

"Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battle field."

Well the only experience I had with tournaments is I went with a friend of mine who trains in Brazilian Ju Jitsu (a white belt) to a tournament in December so he did not have to go alone.

The organization was laughable! Not to mention there were people who were clearly sandbagging openly (for example a blue belt would take off his blue belt and put on a white one and compete in the white belt division.) The integrity of the competition was shady at best.

Tournaments aren't necessary for me, I just think it would be fun to compete.

I have looked in my small town for Karate schools and most of them seem to teach the Isshin-Ryu variety of Karate. I won't be sure of all of them until I call them or visit.

What is the difference between Isshin-Ryu and Shotokan styles....as one person said Shotokan is tends to be more common?