• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Escaping from the Full Nelson

STR33T GUY offers some good advice. In fact, it sounds awfully similar to a move from some kata (Passai Dai or Kusanku Dai) in my system. I've used that bunkai (application) numerous times before against rather large people with pleasing results.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A locked in full nelson Is very hard to escape from. I know some may say its weak, I doubt that they have been choked out with chin to chest, but yeah, try to never let your opponent have your back period, with yourt back you are open to nelsons, chokes and other really bad stuff, when you hit the ground, try to roll into the guard position, at least you will have some control, and never roll over to get up with your hands.

The ground is my ocean, I am a shark and you can't swim.

• 3 weeks later...

Um a full nelson is illeagle in wrestling, you can break someone's neck that way, my advice would be not to let it happen, and if your in a fight, head buts or anything you can really.

"As you train, so shall you fight." - SWAT saying

"Hit first, hit hard, and hit continuously." -My Dad

"If it looks like a fight, start it." -My Dad

"Don't wait for an opening, make it happen." -My HS Wrestling Coach

• 4 weeks later...

jab your finger in the guy's eye. That should get him to let go. If that doesn't work, throw your head back so you crush his knuckles between his head and yours. Good luck

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

If all else fails stick your arms straight up in the air and fall to the ground like a limp noodle...you can usually get out that way.

TJS that's actually the way you can get out of countless number of holds and locks. The other way is to quickly walk one of your legs behind his opposite leg. For example, walk your left leg around his right. First drop your hips to create space then walk around getting your hips under you and below his. You have taken his space and his balance will be compromised. Now just straighten up grabbing his right leg and toss over your left leg. You can also do this as a sacrifice throw landing very hard on his rib cage and he will let go. I've used this one for rear chokes, head locks, bear hugs quite a bit. Try it slow first. You can thank me later.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Has anyone ever been able to escape from a Full Nelson from someone twice your size ?

Does getting away from someone 7 inches taler than me and 80 pounds heavier count? If so the answer would be yes.

I'm 5'11" 170 lbs and he was 6'6" and 250 lbs

If all else fails stick your arms straight up in the air and fall to the ground like a limp noodle...you can usually get out that way.

NOT- tried that on a guy with high school wrestling experience (hadn't wrestlled in over 15 years and was in his 30's at that time). This only worked if the drop was before he had the hold applied, and then he was all over you before you could try anything else

SWDW I don't think it's all over at that point. There's a sacrifice throw you can do from the full nelson when they have you bent over. It's all about taking the space of the person doing the lock to you. There's even more ways of getting out of the one while still upright.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

just curious,

I know that "falling through" the guys arms will get you out of the hold, but isn't ending up on the ground in front of him a bad way to start a fight?

What do you think?

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."