Escaping from the Full Nelson

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bring your elbows down and to your side squeezing their arms under your armpits and turn out from him quickly (shuck). You will be using the strength of your back against the strength of his arms. If you can place your forehead against the ground or a wall this will give your head support as you break out of the full nelson. If someone just try’s to hold you with a nelson you should be able to break out of it, nelsons are rather weak holds.

Remember that the different nelson holds are not meant to actually hold a person, but rather are to be used to turn the person and as such, are only meant to be a temporary hold.

A minute of experience on the street is worth a year of training in the dojo.

If you can’t sprawl and brawl, you can’t street fight.

Hey shodan97

I just notice that you list wrestling as one of your styles. Talk to your wrestling coach, he will be a bigger help that I can.

A minute of experience on the street is worth a year of training in the dojo.

If you can’t sprawl and brawl, you can’t street fight.

if youre fighting fighting, you can stomp and rake the shin and maybe headbut with the back of your head.

if youre wrestling, well, things will be more difficult- talk to your coach, i dont even know how to describe it in words very well... but heres a try

one you can step forward with one leg and pull him over your backthen take him to the ground. youve maybe given him your back, but the slam to the ground oughta hurt, and he should be to the side of you.

Notice that he said escape from a full nelson applied by a person twice your size.

A properly applied full nelson that is locked in by a much larger opponent is very difficuly to get out of.

The best advice I could give is to try and not let the opponent get his hands locked behind your head.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Lock your own hands in front of your face against your forehead, this makes sure your head won't be pushed down into your chest. Then in one motion drop all of your weight and lift your arms up. You have to commit 100% to dropping your weight and breaking free. This doesn't always work the first time, or even the 3rd or 4th. I'm 5'6'' and 125lbs, and I can get out of my roommate's full nelsons with this. He is 6', 185 lbs. It works for me, but maybe not everyone else.

"Please do not drop your partner like a sack of potatoes. If anything, throw them hard with control." - my instructor

"Your karate is still useless." - my brother as he picks himself up off the floor

There are several waysto get out, but honestly it will depend on the situation...

If you don't mind hurting someone, the best way I've found to get the job done is to just reach back, grab the first available finger, and wrench it back as hard as you can.

It usually won't do permanant damage, and usually will get them to let go fairly quickly...