• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question about my new gi

Highler

Well i got my first gi as a surprise at christmas and although i was planning on buying a good heavyweight gi from the dojo i feel it's only right to wear the one i was bought for now, it's just a basic light gi.

Anyway, i tried it on and the cuffs at the arms and ankles are right at the end, not too long, but not very short either. It's also got the fold marks on the legs and arms blatantly sticking out and it looks quite daft!

Should i wash it first and shrink it slightly or should i just leave the length and iron out the creases?

Thanks

'The cat taught the tiger everything he knows. One day the tiger turned on the cat and the cat ran up a tree. That was the one thing the cat never taught the tiger.'

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just wear it. By the time you've started to sweat a little it will have started to calm down a little.

We are all used to seeing someone walking in with a new gi for the first time, no one will care. It just looks like you left the hangers in. :lol:

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Try washing it if you feel uncomfortable with the sleeve length - it may shrink it slightly so that the sleeves & legs are the right length. Don't use water that's too hot, though!! Guess who made that mistake with her first gi... :roll:

Don't worry about the fold marks - everyone has been a beginner at some point and I'm sure many people on here have worn gi with fold marks in them!

Just as a side-note: if you do buy yourself a heavy-weight gi, then don't get rid of your old light-weight. It may come in handy for when Britain has those (very rare) hot days in the summer! :lol:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!