• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Water Training

I think the biggest benefit from underwater training isn't the fun, but the resistance that the water provides. One is able to obtain much deeper stances while underwater but kicks and punches are slowed down.

Next time your in a pool or pond, try punching at full speed, it takes more energy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Our club organizes a summer karate school every year and what everybody looks forward to is training in the sea (in our gi's btw...) :) It's just soooooo fun! Sparring, practicing punches and kicks - you can easily tell whether your're just slowly "mixing the water" or giving your best.

You get tired faster cause of the resistance, but you build up strength. Plus, it's not half as hot as it would be, if you'd be training on the shore :P

Another good idea would be practicing throws in the water. It's easier to learn because it's sort of in slow motion. And the other person doesn't get hurt if you screw up :roll:

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Another good idea would be practicing throws in the water. It's easier to learn because it's sort of in slow motion. And the other person doesn't get hurt if you screw up :roll:

No, they just drown instead... ;)

That summer camp training in the sea sounds fun! I can imagine that it'd really help to improve a persons MA.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

When I was a kid I use to practice my kicks in the pool just for fun, mainly because I saw it done in the movie kickboxer, but now if I do it Its normally because I'm making fun of the martial art movies or somethings and its just for laughs on a sunny day in the pool.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

No, they just drown instead... ;)

LOL :D

That summer camp training in the sea sounds fun! I can imagine that it'd really help to improve a persons MA.

It's not just the water traning. There are five classes a day. Two mandatory, three are optional :P So if you really put in some effort, you're bound to improve your technique. Morning sessions include traning in the water (less people up at that hour - more space for us) and it's what everyone looks forward to. There's nothing like water wrestling with your sensei ;) and swallowing some salt water mixed with sand and an occasional mollusc... :roll:

Kidding about the last one ;)

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

If you are interested in you should look up Zen training.

Normally practised in waterfalls as the falling water squashes your body.

The main reason is spiritual strenghening as it is extremely cold.

The cool summer breeze passes me by.

The water training that i am familiar with is done in a river stream or run off . Generally any body of water with a current and approx. waist high. It is primarily used as stance training although there are other applications. The thought here is that the steady resistance of the current is used to improove strenght endurance and stability in stances.

We are not so much individual beings as individual points of perception within one immense being.