• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Water Training

I have a few thoughts why people do water training.

For Fun

For the Resistance

Any other reasons? Is there a historical background about it that I should know about? Is there a name for it?

"I think therefore I am" Rene Descartes

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hehe, no real information, but when you said "historical backround" I think of a cheesy movie sequence with Jean Claude Van Damme underneath a waterfall.

By water training, you mean in a pool, or lake, etc;, right?

I guess its for fun, I know I play around to see how my movements affect the flow of water and to see how much power I can generate underwater - but it's all for fun. But it is fun to do once in a while, to make sure all that hipwork you hear about actually does bring your energy forward.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

I occasionally try out techniques in the swimming pool, if it is quiet there.

A friend of mine and I often go swimming together. She is also a martial artist and we've been known to play around with kata application whilst in the water - getting some very strange looks from the lifeguard in the process!! :lol:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

The pictures I have seen are mostly from lakes, but I suppose it could be done in a pool.

Dodgeball in the water? Hahaha! Oh, that would be funny.

What Van Damme movie was it?

"I think therefore I am" Rene Descartes

I'm guessing that all of the impacts that the ankles, knees, and hips, take, when you perform your techniques, can take its toll on you, especially if you train on hardwood floors.

Water training is easy on the joints, and gives a nice workout that helps with your muscle tone, without causing joint irritation, or aggravating existing irritation.

At the risk of being slightly off topic, if the great Nolan Ryan ran in a swimming pool every day to maintain those amazing leg muscles, then he had to be doing something right, since he was still throwing 100 MPH fastballs in his 40's. With his pitching style, where he was constantly using his legs to propel himself (and the ball), and always impacting on the hard dirt of the pitcher's mound, I would think that all of the water training had to have at least some benefits when it came to keeping him healthy.

He never had a serious leg injury throughout his pitching career.

I know several people who have had leg injuries and have used aquatic training for rehabilitation and it has worked wonders for them so there is a definite advantage to water training, but it's just like anything else you get what you put into it.

What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others. - Confucius

u guys r priceless

"sweat is the essential element. The sea in which the martial artists are born and through which they swim"

I know several people who have had leg injuries and have used aquatic training for rehabilitation and it has worked wonders for them so there is a definite advantage to water training,

Yes, I also know a couple of people who have used aquatic training as a method of recovering from injuries. My mum (who is crippled with arthritis) also has regular sessions in the pool and claims that it helps her.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!