• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Switching Kiais!

June1

I've noticed that when Im punching air now, if I'm doing it "properly" then as I extend my right arm I gasp air in. Just a little, but enough to make a sound. It was quite strange at first, I was in the kitchen, hitting air, and all of a sudden I heard this rasping noise coming from somewhere! I thought the kitchen was haunted!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL!!!! That's funny, DesertBeagle.

Well, I've been practicing with a few kiais, though just at home, but still haven't found the right one!! :( Nothing really feels natural. I think I need to lower my voice when I kiai, make it sound more fierce. I'm sure it will take some time.

For now, I guess my default kiai will continue to be, "KYA!"

*hang head in shame and walk away slowly* :P

P.S. If this double-posts, sorry!!

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

I find if coming in with a really powerful kick, or using a finishing technique that it particularly brutal I tend to come out with something that sounds like "TSAA"

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Our Shihan also told us that when making this noise and exhaling as we strike we would be hurt less if we were attacked while doing it since the lungs wouldn't be full of air.

Oh, and...HI! I'm new here!

Could anyone explain why you do this? not knocking it! (to many 'weird' things about Wing Chun to even consider it lol) but I would really like to know the idea behind it :)

THROWAWAYYOURLIFEFORJUSTICE

Welcome, Gunstar Hobo! Love the name! :D

My sensei told us the exact same thing your shihan did. Glad it's common knowledge!

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

Oh, and...HI! I'm new here!

Hi Gunstar Hobo! Welcome to Karate Forums. Why not pop along to the Introductions forum and tell us a little about yourself? :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Well, I've been practicing with a few kiais, though just at home, but still haven't found the right one!! :( Nothing really feels natural.

When you practice your technique and come to a part for a kiai and you naturally expell the air from your lungs, what sound do you make? I tend to growl out an ee-ous type sound. I have never tried to change it because it is pretty natural for me.

I tend to agree with Killer that the Kiai will find you.

In the mean time may the Kiai be with you, or is it the force? :D

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

LOL. Both, I would assume. And thank you. :)

An interesting thing happened to me yesterday, though. While practicing Heian Nidan, I got to the nikute part and a HAI! came out naturally. I didn't even think about it!

But I'm also thinking about how people tend to have a different kiai depending upon the technique. For some reason, in my case, nikute just calls for a HAI!

What about you guys? What are your kiais for various techniques?

"Know Thyself"

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone at all! Step right up and answer my question (see last post)! It's free of charge and will take no more than 2 minutes! :D

"Know Thyself"