• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why common arguments against grappling are wrong

You know this seems a weird argument. I thought it was pretty much well-established that to have any real chance of survival you need to know how to strike AND grapple.

The argument that grappling doesn't work against multiple opponents really only applies to ground fighting as I think we can all agree, against mutliple opponents the ground is not where you want to be.

However accidents happen and Murphy's law is universal. If you do happen to fall over with the guy (eg trip on a bottle) how are you going to get out from under the fat guy without knowing some groundfighting and having trained in escapes?

That said, spend to long tugging at someones jacket and you will get enveloped by his buddies. It is often better juts to punch and keep punching.

You can emphasise what best works for you, whether punching or striking, since which is best depnds on you. However you will always need both.

Personally my first response is always HIT THEM VERY HARD & VERY FAST IN THE FACE (well jaw to be accurate). Why? Because it works often...is easy...can be trained for greater reliance...is a deterrent...is a natural response.

However being only 10.5 stone I can see this not havcing the amazing knock out effect I always want.

Therefore I would move into my jiu-jitsu/karate methods to manipulate the opponent into more strikes or submissions. Be that throwing using kosoto gaki (simple, effective need little space) and stamping on the head with a heel kick; using a judo grip and clinch to twist them into a hard knee strike; or just breaking an arm or choking.

Either way, both striking and grappling are needed.

Thats just the tactic I train for...find your own but use all the tools needed

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think any of US disagree with that. but there are people who do, which is what str33t guy was originally commenting on. Also, there are alot of threads on this forum that say "if you HAD to pick one or the other, which would it be and why?"

Endurance is the key attribute in most serious grappling styles. That is what allows for smaller people to beat larger ones.

I absolutely agree. Endurance is VERY important in a fight between two people somewhat close in skill. To do virtually any technique requires a decent amount of strength, but its done so in a way that it isolates certain muscle groups on your opponent so that you're stronger. Just because something is called "technique" doesnt mean it doesnt require power.

Some of the biggest upsets in MMA history lend itself to a fighter who had great endurance.

And by serious grappling styles I think hes implying styles that have some sort of competitive randori involved (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo, Wrestling, Submission Wrestling, Sambo)

Personally my first response is always HIT THEM VERY HARD & VERY FAST IN THE FACE (well jaw to be accurate).

nose is better.

I prefer the jaw, there are several points to hit along the chin and jawline which lend themselves to a good knockout (if you believe in that stuff) and they are close enough to each other that you do not require crackshot accuracy.

Hitting the jaw also addles the brain by shaking it in the skull, allowing you more opportunity to follow ups.

The nose is good, but I know people who take shots on the nose (broken), their eyes tear up but they keep going.

But hey, whatever works best for you mate go for it.^__^

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

• 2 weeks later...

sure there are - because we big guys are interested in judo also. however, one of my coaches at one time held a world ranking, and even though he's much smaller than me, can toss me around like a ragdoll.

Was his name Master Py Yeun, He used to be one of the best, He is a good friend of mine.

The ground is my ocean, I am a shark and you can't swim.