• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Own Style?

Hi, I'am pretty much new here as you can tell. And I wanted to ask, about creating your own martial art. Now, I have had alot of experince, I'am 17 now, and I was in Aikido for 7yrs, and Mauy Thai for 4. However, once I had a terrible accident (Ahem, heart attack, let's leave that aside) I quit doing them both. However, now, I've been training myself for around 4-5 years, and creating my own moves/stances. I was wondering how everyone felt about this and if I WERE to enter in a tournament just for example, how would I?.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think you would have to be with a school in order to compete in tournements(correct me if im wrong).And i doubt they would allow you to use your own style,since tournements are one styled compeitions like karate,tkd,kick boxing etc...unless of course if it was some underground fight.

Normally Creating your own style would be called a Mix Martial Art...but creating your own stances is a new one..

Err... 11 years total experience, you're 17, and you want to start your onw style? So... you started when you were 6.

I don't know how you train and it is possible to get plenty of experience in 11 years but I don't think with an assumed average attendance rate starting at 6 you've really gotten enough of Aikido to understand all of it.

Also, why do you want to create your own style? Are you sure you're not just doing Aikido or Muay Thai with slight variation? It's not uncommon to come up with your own way of applying what you've been taught depending on personal needs and preferences.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

I have been training since 1973, since I was 7, so I know what its like to train as a child, teen, and adult. At the end of 2003, I took my 5th Dan test. Part of the requirement for this test was to create my own system, and demonstrate it thoroughly to the board of masters who were grading me. The assignment was given to me almost 4 years earlier, when I was tested for my 4th Dan. Meaning.....The masters felt that I was qualified to create a system of my own after 25+ years of training....Im not trying to "knock" you, but with only 11 years of experience, most of which you were a child or pre-teen, do you really think you are qualified to create a system of your own ? You said youve been training yourself for 4-5 years (since youve been 12). That means that your last "formal" instruction was during the time you were 7-12 years old......5 years of training as a child or pre teen.......

I really think you should concentrate on getting a formal education first, then take it from there.....many years from now.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

It would take years of experence to create a new style. It is not impossible, different syles have been adapted over the years and changed many times. After 11 years of experence, I'm not sure that you have mastered your styles to create a new one. But........ if your trying goodluck

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

• 5 weeks later...

The lady that created the wing chun systeme did it after 6 months.but to be admit as new style you have to enter a federation and only after 20 years in, they will admit you style and you as a soke 9 degree in that style. Ye if it you dream well time does not matter :karate: :karate: :karate:

I don't train for belt color I train to survive on the street

Before I can go into what I think I have some questions for you. I am not trying to frustrate you or disagree with your wanting to go the founder route. I am just curious.

What other experience do you have other than training in the two styles you mentioned? Such as, do you fight alot on the street or in competition?

Is there something wrong with the two systems that you have trained in? Like flaws in the training or techniques?

How driven are you to create this new style? Are you willing to fight anyone anywhere to prove that your style is worth studying?

What do you hope to accomplish in creating this new style? Fame or Fortune?

Are you going to allow in new techniques and allow for the constant re-shaping of this new style?

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."