• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate for the disabled??

karatelok

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If I recall correctly, the idea of "wheel chair" karate was developed by Sensei Asai. As a result, you may want to check with clubs that he is associated with. He currently heads the organization called JKS. I guess that could be a good starting point. Since you have not disclosed your location, I really couldn't help much

In our club we have a person who was diagnosed with cerebral paralysis. He had a strong will that he will not spend his life stuck to a wheelchair motionless and started looking for a club to train some martial arts. Some clubs turned him down but our senseis took him in and he is training Ryukyu kempo and liking it. Afcourse there are some exercises that he cannot do but for example when we run around he lifts his legs just aswell ( 4 months ago he couldnt move his legs now he can lift them about 6" ) and he can hit most of the pressure points also ( while sitting ).

Its a good thing we have more instructors working with us at once so there is no "delay" if someone has to work with him.

Where there is a will there is a way :nod: :up:

Kempo Arnis Slovenia - Training under sensei Borut Kincl begin_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_skype_highlighting ( 6. DAN RKK, 1.DAN Modern arnis ... )

Blab of Buyseech - My blog for Martial Arts and Marketing

Hello all, this might be different, but we have a deah sensei at my karate academy that visits every once in a while. he is in a wheel chair. but he started his karate training not in a wheel chair. i would not mess with him if i had to wheel chair or not wheel chair. he is intense, but thats besides the point, he does do the kata with us, however he is unable to do the foot movements. he is quite an experienced trainer. i believe his life in the wheel chair has sharpened his mind. he no longer able to do everything physically that he was able to do, but can now remember all the movements to every kata, bunkai, and kihons there he has ever been involved in whether he took part in them or not. i hope that gives you a little infornmation.

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

One of my first students..back in 1978, was stricken with polio and had those crutches that clipped to his forearm. It was quite a challenge as he had great upperbody strength, but from the waist down, was basically just thin sticks for legs.

I had to modify literally everything..which was interesting since this was my first class that I was teaching on my own without support from my sensei....who was against the idea of teaching the handicapped.

since then, not mentioning bad backs, knees, necks and such, I've had 2 blind students, 1 in a wheelchair, 1 with no right arm, one with a mechanical hook for a right hand, several with cancer and severe limitations because of it, etc. I have no problems teaching the handicapped, as I'm classified as 44% disabled myself due to a hand injury years ago. I think it's fun to figure out ways of modifying the techniques and kata's to allow these people to reach their goals of becoming viable martial artists. :karate:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I am glad to say that our friend which i mentioned before just passed the test for the 9.kyu ( ryukyu kempo ). He did the kata did the basic "blocks" and "hits" and also the kyusho aplications. I was very happy for him and so were the others. :up:

Kempo Arnis Slovenia - Training under sensei Borut Kincl begin_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_skype_highlighting ( 6. DAN RKK, 1.DAN Modern arnis ... )

so nice to hear that from Cobosan...

it would be very touching if I were there~~

I am not a handicapped person,

just woundering how do they perform katas,

Shorinryu Sensei

say for a one armed person, bassai dai just dont fit for those double block at the beggining...

How will you modify it~~?...

can you tell a bit more~~

thanks.

Shorinryu Sensei

say for a one armed person, bassai dai just dont fit for those double block at the beggining...

How will you modify it~~?...

can you tell a bit more~~

thanks.

We changed it in Passai (Okinawan pronunciation) to a one arm movement instead of two. A normal low block just didn't look right.

As fpr the other changes, I really don't recall for sure as it was back in 1980 or so.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

just woundering how do they perform katas,

The kata was Taiykoku Shodan 1. You only do gedan-barais and oi-zukis and a couple of 90, 180 and 270 degree turns. The whole kata path is H shapped. Just like we did the turns with our feet he did it with the wheelchair. We turned while doing a geda-barai he just turned with the wheel chair and then performed the gedan-barai.

Okay, now when you say "disabled peron" you have to distinguish between mentally or phyiscally disabled. And what kind or phyisical or mental disability they have.

"I think therefore I am" Rene Descartes