• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are there any real uses of acrobatic movements in fighting?

Some thoughts for discussion...

Is it possible to make any real use of gymnastics/acrobatics/tricks types moves in a "real" fighting situation?

If it is possible, how would there effectiveness (both physically and psychologically) compare to simpler techniques?

How effective are trick-heavy styles such as Capoeira and TKD in street fighting / self defence / UFC?

Does practising these techniques have any other significant payback (improved balance/coordination/speed etc.)?

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yes gymnastic are useful when it comes to balance and strenght, however they are not very to useful in a street fight. Maybe to run away or to get off the ground. A side kick to the face or stomach is quite effective form the TKD point of view. More examples are, a cresent to knock a knife out of someones hand, roundhouse sweep would work, fists, elbows and knees to finish the job. My rule of thumb is Keep It Simple.

When I think on mixing MA with Gynastics, it is done for show only

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

One thing - u menionted TKD as trick heavy - its not actually true - its just alot of practitioners like showing off alot....

I would say it was far off from being the most effective but if you train properly it helps.... i.e.

If you are at short range [grabbed, against wall, whatever] a good TKD student could execute a powerful twist / side / turning kick [choice] to the knee which would likely cripple the person for a short time....

But yes I agree the main use of acrobatics might be to spring over a fence while running away... :D

I think you might be able to make them effective during a street fight by makeing your attacker laugh themselfs to death!

hahahaha

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

um a quick arial cartwheel to close the gap, back flip so avoid a sweep and create a bit of distance can't think of anything else though

"always a white belt and never a black belt" a new take on "always a bridesmaid and never a bride"

Dahn Moo Do 7th Gup

Freestyle Karate 7th Kyu

North American Nunchucks White Belt

Guys i think they can be usefull, not in the attacking sense but more in being able to ride attacks thrown at you, if you've been thrown off balance or to the ground, then maybe a nimble roll to the feet or away is better than a big weighty urrrgh as u try and get back to your feet? I know i'd rather have my gymnastic ability than not

"sweat is the essential element. The sea in which the martial artists are born and through which they swim"

Guys i think they can be usefull, not in the attacking sense but more in being able to ride attacks thrown at you, if you've been thrown off balance or to the ground, then maybe a nimble roll to the feet or away is better than a big weighty urrrgh as u try and get back to your feet? I know i'd rather have my gymnastic ability than not

Yes, that's true. Gymnastic ability will help a persons balance and fluidity of movement, should they ever get into a fight/incident.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

um a quick arial cartwheel to close the gap, back flip so avoid a sweep and create a bit of distance can't think of anything else though

I'm assuming (and really hoping) that you're kidding here? Unless the person you're fighting is totally incompetent, doing a cartwheel or backflip during a real fight is just plain suicidal.

Edited by Shorinryu Sensei

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

i wouldnt callthem totally useless. maybe you can convince them not to beat you up cause youre entertaining....

I hadn't thought of that....or when they are rolling around on the floor in hysterical laughter at you might be another opportunity to get them. :lol:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"