• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Planning a trip to Japan

Cheradenine

I have booked a 3 week trip to Japan for October of next year and I was after some recommondations of places to visit relevant to martial arts (Karate) , samurai culture, temples, or other interesting sights.

The trip itself is somewhat of a Pilgrimmage; a journey to the grave site of Miyamoto Musashi and the cave in which The Book of 5 Rings was written in Kumamoto.

Any tips would be appreciated :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't have a lot of the places your looking for in mind right now. But I do have tons of pics for you to see from my tourist trip to Japan!

Never actually finshed the site though :(

http://www.erp010.com/japan/pictures.htm

Seito Shito-Ryu - 3rd Kyu (1st Brown)

Japanese Sword - 7th Kyu (White Belt)

Earned my 1st Degree Black in American Kenpo

~Sensai Patient is my Sensai!~

If you want real karate loook no further than the United States already. I can understand going to Japan to see the sites of graves or other historical thigs, but if you are looking to train there, think again. Japan's classes differ greatly between the American classes. the Japanease are backward and stubborn and will not change their views on karate. It's a shame really.

Now I know some of you will flame me and say TRADITIONAL WAH. But things must evolve over time. Take the internet for example. The security for the internet must always be upgraded because of hackers and other mailicious virii out there. As is the case with karate and everything else for that matter.

Sorry for getting so off topic. :wink:

Great site there ERPMISTER I look foward to the jounal going up..

I'm actually in New Zealand and don't plan on visiting the States any time soon, as I say the trip is mainly to visit the grave of Musashi, but I appreciate your views.

I wouldn't consider training there either, although visiting various schools would be interesting, mainly Chidokan.

If you want real karate loook no further than the United States already. I can understand going to Japan to see the sites of graves or other historical thigs, but if you are looking to train there, think again. Japan's classes differ greatly between the American classes. the Japanease are backward and stubborn and will not change their views on karate. It's a shame really.

Now I know some of you will flame me and say TRADITIONAL WAH. But things must evolve over time. Take the internet for example. The security for the internet must always be upgraded because of hackers and other mailicious virii out there. As is the case with karate and everything else for that matter.

Sorry for getting so off topic. :wink:

That is such a bad stereotype of Japanese dojos. I know at least of a few well known instructors in Japan that have adovated that innovation is strongly needed in traditional karate, and have put forth such actions (mostly Shotokan). Nonetheless, it is not a good idea to try to train with them for a short period of time. You'll just become an "experimental" thing for them.

As for temples, I would urge you to visit Kyoto. Tokyo does not really have much of its traditional structures left (of course, there are some well known temples, such as Meiji jingu or Asakusa, but not as many nor as pretty as the ones in Kyoto)

the Japanease are backward and stubborn and will not change their views on karate. It's a shame really.

I'm not sure what surprises me more: the ignorance of your statement or the lack of flaming you've received for it. I can just imagine the response I'd get if I made the statement that all Americans are backward and stubborn.

As Omega14 said, your statement is pure stereotype and nothing more. When the subject of American karate comes up, I think most MAists probably think of stars-and-stripes dogi, kata done to '80s rock music and five-year-old black belts but it would be grossly unfair to tar all US karate dojo with the same brush. The same goes for Japanese dojo. If you look at the more progressive karate and karate-related organisations that have had any success in recent history, the majority are Japanese: Kyokushin, Seidokan, Shidokan, Daidojuku, Ashihara karate, K-1, etc.

Hengest

"A coward believes he will ever live

if he keep him safe from strife:

but old age leaves him not long in peace

though spears may spare his life." - Hávamál, Saying 16

the Japanease are backward and stubborn and will not change their views on karate. It's a shame really.

I'm not sure what surprises me more: the ignorance of your statement or the lack of flaming you've received for it. I can just imagine the response I'd get if I made the statement that all Americans are backward and stubborn.

Newsflash:Americans aren't backward and stubborn.

Newsflash:Americans aren't backward and stubborn.

Xerxes, that was Hengest's point.... he didn't say that all Americans are backward and stubbord - he was merely pointing out that if the general sweeping statement that you wrote about the Japanese was to be applied to Americans it would have a lot more backlash than your statement about that Japanese has recieved.

Please keep this thread on-topic (recommendations of MA-related places to visit in Japan). Thank you.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Xerxes, that was Hengest's point.... he didn't say that all Americans are backward and stubbord - he was merely pointing out that if the general sweeping statement that you wrote about the Japanese was to be applied to Americans it would have a lot more backlash than your statement about that Japanese has recieved.

Please keep this thread on-topic (recommendations of MA-related places to visit in Japan). Thank you.

Thank you aefibird. That's exactly what I was trying to say. It's quickly becoming obvious who's actually backward around here...

Anyway, you're quite right. We should keep this thread on topic. Cheradenine, I've been living in Japan for about five years. I must admit, I'm disgustingly untravelled but one of my favourite places to go is Nikko, in the highlands, a couple of hours from Tokyo. Not strictly speaking martial arts-related, but it has some great temples and scenery and it's also the home to the Nikko Beer brewery, a tiny little operation that makes, IMHO, some of the best beer in Japan. :D

Hengest

"A coward believes he will ever live

if he keep him safe from strife:

but old age leaves him not long in peace

though spears may spare his life." - Hávamál, Saying 16

I had the chance to train in Japan with my sensei's sensei when we were there visiting my family. His name is Shihan Kensuke Seto. If you want more informantion, you can contact me by leaving me your aim screen name on one of my posts.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."