• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

complex, long karate style suggestion + other questions

Exponential

In response to Karate origins. I'm sure everyone knows the history, but I will repeat some anyways. A monk named Boddidharma brought it from India to China it went from China to Japan and Japan to Korea. However, most people do not know the story of Boddidharma's first student. He waited in a cave for a worthy student. It took him something like 13 years to find a young man he deemed worthy. That young man cut off his right arm. This act of humility was what found the man worthy of learning. Humility has been a part of martial arts from its beginning. Many a master began his training sweeping the dojo floor for months before sensei finally said, "Oh, you're still here. Come in and maybe you can begin your lessons." I would never tell anyone off the street that I was a black belt, but if you step into the dojo I train in things begin to change. A new student may not know me from a bum off the street, but in a dojo a higher rank has a certain amount of skill and knowledge that a beginner does not, and this should be respected. I understand that too many karateka take this to too far a level, and that is where humility comes in. However, a bow of respect to a higher ranking student and calling them sir or ma'am, or Mr. or Ms. is not what I would consider far fetched in a place where honor and respect should reign. This is only what I have been taught, and what I believe. This may be the result of observing too many traditional Chinese, Japanese, and Korean households. I was adopted and raised in the Midwest so this is an entire other story, and one that doesn't belong in this forums. Pay me no attention if you have strongly opposed feelings.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for a traditional art that takes a long time to learn and master. The ki elements in the Chinese arts concerns me, and TKD seems short. (I hear about people getting black belts in one year.)

Of all the different karate styles, which is the most complex and longest to get good at or master?

Also, being a Christian, I haven't realy made up my mind on how I feel about bows. Would it be okay not to? I'm not saying I won't; I'm just saying I don't know.

Thanks guys.

when i first read this post, i was going to make a reply very similar to Sauzin, but then i saw that he already did.

My only question is, do you put your hand over your heart and repeat the pledge of allegence (assuming you're in USA)?

what is so different? in fact, i could argue that is more of a form of worshipping a false idol (flag) than bowing to a person that you respect.

wait, that's not my only question, do you shake hands, say thank you, excuse me or anything like that, or do you only say 'praise be to god?'

maybe this is a gross exageration, but i think that bowing is very similar to saying thank you.

by the way, i only read the first page of replies before penning this, so sorry if this has already been stated.

Wow...such tempers......find a school (close to your home,always good) and see if they have a trial program, like 1 month and a gi for some set price and give it a try...If you don't like the style/school/sensei or what ever you just move on after your month or so....try somewhere else.

And the bowing thing.....just like saying hello/thank you /I get it/that hurt...it pretty much covers everything you have to say in the beginning. :lol: ..Good luck and enjoy yourself, life is way to short to sweat the small stuff.. and it's all small stuff :karate:

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

Bowing is a sign of courtesy ,it doesen't mean that you are inferior to the guy you are bowing ,but a sign of respect .Obviously you are obliged to bow to your senior ,but this is respect like saying hello to your dad or uncle .I don't know why religion has come to this ,but personally I respect all religions who believe in God . and I feel I belong to all those who have this belief . As long as you believe in God then I am with you ! :)

never give up !

Exponential,

How about some verses? Should have been the first place to look anyway.

Where we can bow:

Genesis 41 shows the people of Egypt bowing to Joshua at Pharoah's command.

Genesis 27 has Isaac's blessing to Jacob stating that nations and his siblings will bow to him.

Ruth bows to Boaz in Ruth 2.

So it appears there is nothing wrong with bowing to a person when the motive is to show respect.

Where we can't bow:

Leviticus 26

1'You shall not make for yourselves idols, nor shall you set up for yourselves an image or a sacred pillar, nor shall you place a figured stone in your land to bow down to it; for I am the LORD your God.

Joshua 23

...so that you will not associate with these nations, these which remain among you, or mention the name of their gods, or make anyone swear by them, or serve them, or bow down to them.

So God is saying not to bow to any god or idol. So if bowing is communicating respect and/or submission then we can bow to people, but not bow to anything that would compete with God. We are not to respect or submit to false gods.

So an area that could trip some up would be the bow to the picture of the founder of a style who is dead. In Isshinryu, we bow to a picture of Master Tatsuo Shimabuku. Some would consider this bowing to an image and would refuse to do it. Others would consider it bowing in respect to our heritage and remembering those have given so much. I don't see as this bow as bowing to a false god or in worship in any way nor competing with Jesus in any way.

We are responsible to keep our consciences clear. Spend time in prayer.

Best Regards