• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karate book review: "The Essence of Okinawan KArate-do&

P.A.L

Author: Shoshin Nagamine founder of Matsubayashi shorin ryu.

Copyright :1976 Charles E. Tuttle. Inc.

Book is written in seven chapter,

Chapter one: History of karate-do

Very short summary of karate history, shuri-te and Naha-te , karate before and after world war II, creation of Kumite and tournament system this chapter ends with 6 recommendations for learning/practicing Karate-do.

Chapter two: My life with karate

Author talks about his childhood and his devotion to karate, his masters include Arakaki, Kyan and Motobu

Chapter three: Thoughts on the mastery of karate-do

This chapter is about spiritual aspects of karate-do some precepts, attitude , ethics of dojo, training hints

Chapter four: interpretation of the kata of Matsubayashi ryu

This chapter explains all the ready stances for different katas, stances, attacking techniques , blocking techniques, kicking techniques

Chapter Five: Movements of the 18 katas

Fukyugata I

Fukyugata II

Pinan I to V

Naihanchi I to III

Ananku

Wankan

Rohai

Wanshu

Passai

Gojushiho

Chinto

Kusanku

Many of old katas of Matsubayashi ryu probably goes back to sensei Kyan and Tomari Lineage of karate some of the katas in this style are really old and authentic.

His Naihanchi is probably close to Motobu , pinan katas is close to Itosu(creator of Pinan series)/chibana

Chinto looks like Tomari Chinto but I am not sure.

Kusanku should be close to Kyan version (Kyan learnt Kusanku from Chatan yara)

Chapter six: Kumite

Author talks about importance of Kumite and pre-arrange Kumite

All 7 pre-arrange kumite of the style Yakusoku I to VII are explained.

Chapter Seven: Kobujutsu

This chapter cover weaponry of Matsubayashi ryu , it’s very short and only talks about weapons which are used in the style.

This is a very good reference book for the practitioners of Shuri-te/Tomari-te.

Price : $13.57 paper back, https://www.amazon.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Chinto looks like Tomari Chinto but I am not sure.

It is a "Tomari Chinto", Matsumora Kosaku no Chinto, to be exact.

Kusanku should be close to Kyan version (Kyan learnt Kusanku from Chatan Yara)

It is a Chatan Yara no Kusanku, but Kyan did not learn Kusanku from Chatan Yara (Kyan is too young for that). Kyan did learn Kusanku from a supposed relative of Chatan Yara, Yara PECHIN (Yomitan).

But I do agree, a decent book well worth its price. Not to be taken without a critical eye, though - but that applies to every book ever written.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

about Kusanku Kata I just saw it on a chart by shimabukuro founder of Shobayashi ryu (I think it was Seibukan kata lineage chart that i copied in Darrel Craig dojo it was a old page) other reference was Mark bishop book , Okinawan Karate masters. i take your word and try to check the dates anyway your info on Kyan should be more than me.

about Kusanku Kata I just saw it on a chart by shimabukuro founder of Shobayashi ryu

Zenryo Shimabukuro was a finder of Sukunaihayashi (Shorin) Ryu Seibukan. Eizo Shimabukuro is connected to Shobayashi (Shorin) Ryu, which is a different branch of Okinawan karate.

(Just to help you to avoid some traps that may come from mixing some Shimabukuro's and shobayashi/sukunaihayashi -translitteration).

(I think it was Seibukan kata lineage chart that i copied in Darrel Craig dojo it was a old page) other reference was Mark bishop book , Okinawan Karate masters. i take your word and try to check the dates anyway your info on Kyan should be more than me.

Yes. Yara PECHIN or Yara Yomitan are the names (well, actually PECHIN is a social status, not a name) that can be found from the lineage chart. It's a different person than Chatan Yara (1670 - 1746, approximate years. Kyan was born in 1870 and died 1945). Kyan's Kusanku is still a Chatan Yara no Kusanku.

Here are one article and the lineage chart of Seibukan. I also included a list of Kyan's teachers.

Article about Seibukan kata.

Lineage chart.

Kyan Chotoku's teachers.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland