• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What You're *Really* Thinking In Class...

June1

Yeah, I agree, it really is a matter of trying to tell yourself to stop thinking about whatever it is your thinking about and get back to thinking about training. But when Sensei goes off on a tangent....it's fascinating, what I learn during the tangents, just the problem is, I found it so fascinating I forgot what technique we were supposed to be doing.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone ever have a problem not thinking in class? We were doing kata today, and I just kept spacing out. Grrr... Not thinking of anything in particular- just a total loss of concentration. I just kept doing stuff wrong, and not even the same thing every time... I'd make a mistake, and correct it the next time, and make another. And then I'd get it right, and someone else would foul up. Makes for a very long night of kata. :cry:

Before that though, we got to have some fun with knives. It got a little rowdy, and two rubber practice knives broke. One guy would have had a real mess of a hand afterward. He grabbed the blade and yanked, and his opponent still had the handle. I heard a "huh?" from both of them, and that got a laugh.

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

Yeah, I agree with the having trouble NOT thinking too. It's either one or the other. As my friend puts it, "You think when you shouldn't and you don't think when you should." Sadly, it's very true. But sometimes I get it right!

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

"Yeah, I agree with the having trouble NOT thinking too. It's either one or the other. As my friend puts it, "You think when you shouldn't and you don't think when you should." Sadly, it's very true. But sometimes I get it right!"

That's what it feels like. I concentrate too hard on some technique, and tense myself up. And then sometimes, I'll draw a complete blank, no matter how well I know it. I felt bad when my instructor walked behind me and said "Focus." Just have to work on getting more of those "right" moments. :karate:

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

Anyone ever have a problem not thinking in class?

Absolutely! Occasionally, I have a "blackout" day... where my technique feels horrendous and everything I learned over the past 7 months has been chucked out the window.. and then the next day I'll have an awesome day, where technique will feel sharp and strong and I'll feel like I'm doing no wrong... just depends on the day :lol:

He grabbed the blade and yanked, and his opponent still had the handle. I heard a "huh?" from both of them, and that got a laugh.
:lol: :lol:

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

Geez, I hate when I get those days. It just throws the rest of my day off completely. I'll get all sad and mopey. Gah. :( It's amazing how much karate affects me.

I'm thrilled, though, that today was a total "on" day. Me happy! Don't want to jinx my other classes, though. Knock on wood!

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

Would Mandarin be one of those buffets? :P

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."