• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What You're *Really* Thinking In Class...

June1

I tend to listen in class. It is in work that I have the problem. I'm in an important meeting, and then suddenly realise everyone is staring at me, waiting for a response. Meanwhile I have been replaying my latest kata over and over in my head!

:lol:

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AngelaG,

I know what you mean. I sit in a lot of business meetings where everybody there has to say something to try to impress the boss. I use a technique that makes it bareable. I'll pay attention for three minutes, then take a day dream break for one minute, then back to paying attention. Of course I haven't mised anything in a minute. Not when they are reexplaining what they just explained the firt or second time. I'll bounce back and forth from paying attention to day dreaming until the meeting is over.

In class I'm usually looking to see what kid isn't paying attention to the instructor (even if I'm the instructor). I'll then know who will need help when they have to practice on their own. And yes, I do tell them "You should have been paying attention"

Hmmm, I wonder if I just happened to have caught them during a "day dream break"? :lol:

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

My former instructor (from Shido-kan) used to talk about anything and everything that was NOT martial arts related. After Christmas, she had everyone tell the class what they got for Christmas. It also happened at other holidays. I would always wish that I had not come to class.

No more of that. My current instructors keep the class moving and they don't deviate from class material...at all.

I would NEVER disrepect my instructor that way and I ALWAYS listen to EVERYTHING they say with the utmost attention and concentration........

BWAAA HA HA HA HA

Sorry, I couldn't keep a straight face any longer.

Mostly I'm thankful for the break and just enjoy the moment of rest.

TKD WTF/ITF 2nd Dan

"A Black Belt Is A White Belt That Never Quit"

Oh, gosh! That sucks! What does your instructor talk about? Technique, scolding?

OMG!! I totally missed your question. Sorry about that. Better late then never, I guess.

He talks about different things. Once it was him scolding a few of the younger advanced students for being sloppy (he got REALLY strict about technique lately). Then it was a chat with the new advanced students (intros, ect) coming into the advanced class. Then there was the time he chatted about competing (I was thinking ..... no thanks LOL).

The other night was a good one .... well not so good, I should say. We were practicing forms. Well he was testing a few of us for a stripe. I did my form to the "T" but I "jumped" ahead on accident (we were doing our forms by command). He reemed me out for it! OMG!! I thought he was going to kill me. I was in a bad mood as it was (from work), and he is yelling at me. I didn't kihap when he asked me not to do that again, so he made me kihap again. My temper was about to blow LOL (I very rarely let my temper get to me), so I was thinking "Whatever" then let out a really loud, phyco kihap LOL. Needless to say, none of us got a stripe.

Laurie F

LOL! "Psycho kihap." Thx for answering. I had almost given up... *sniff* :D

Wow... your instructor flipped out just because you were a bit ahead? He he. I'm always ahead. I wouldn't want to be doing that with your instructor there. :P

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

Oops, I wrote that half asleep. Sorry for the bad spelling.

He was just in a bad mood. I just gave him a reason to yell LOL. He does that once in a while. Normally he would just tell someone to get back in line or something. Or just do 20 push-ups. He don't normally yell like that.

Laurie F

• 3 weeks later...
The mind of the MA student must be like a sponge

I wholeheartedly agree. Luckily, I'm like that. A couple of friends came to watch me in a karate class, and said that I am so serious and focused while practicing, it scared them. :P I don't think I've ever been more devoted to something.

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."