• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Joe Lewis on Bruce Lee

Kajukenbopr - What do you mean by "incomplete"?

If you mean that the founder (Bruce Lee) did not finish or finalize his art form, then you are correct. But that was also how he intended it. In Lee's mind, martial arts should be ever evolving. If it is static it can never adapt to new situations. The problem with traditional martial arts was the fact that they were "complete", and stopped developing to meet new circumstances as they arose. And many of the practitioners of these traditional arts came to view their system as a complete martial art and therefore did not bother seeking knowledge in other styles.

Well, you dont really need to go looking for other styles, you just need to get good at one and try to master it. IF you cant apply the concepts to any fight, you are already showing a lack of training.

Dont get me wrong, you can admit other styles have a good approach and consider them worthy of your time, but you dont have to learn every style to achieve a higher level than another fighter who only trains in one style all his life.

As to his art being incomplete, I'm not saying its not effective, I just think it might have been even better if he had finished correcting his art- people could have changed things about it and made it into what he didnt want it to be, but he is not around to say otherwise.... But since, like I said, I said I dont know the art, I'm asking you guys to tell me what you know so I can learn something about this style's development, being JKD one of the best self defense styles out there.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hansen,

When it comes to Lewis' personality

I am far from being a Joe Lewis fan. Everyone that has ever known him well agree he is a major a-hole who complains about everyone. Still he was the greatest karate fighter of all time. You can say I am a fan of the fighter not the person when it comes to Joe Lewis.

Bruce Lee also had a very arrogant personality and I have heard most in his era detested him. After he died he became famous. I imagine you are caught in the Bruce Lee envy department. I am just bringing some objectivity to the mix.

Whoever you get your Chuck Norris info from is misinformed. Chuck Norris is the nicest guy on the planet. Chuck knows honor and maintains integrity. Who knows if Lee hadn't died by his own 'misadventure' he may have today been Norris' equal in the good character catergory.

Kajukenbopr: Read throughout this whole post and you may find answers. Read around this website and you will find answers to why sticking to one style keeps your mind closed to the whole world of Martial Arts. Also research Bruce, read his material and thoughts.

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."

Kajukenbopr: Read throughout this whole post and you may find answers. Read around this website and you will find answers to why sticking to one style keeps your mind closed to the whole world of Martial Arts. Also research Bruce, read his material and thoughts.

well, I practice Kajukenbo- 5 styles in one. and I can definitely tell you I could just as well practice Kajukenbo or just karate or just kenpo and be just as good or even better than a cross trainer- I would have even more polished material than someone who cross trains who would be trying to learn something new from time to time without guarantee that he mastered it.

About Bruce Lee- I tried to search for info, but some sites say one thing, others say another thing.... It's a bit tiresome....

i am afraid that you are mistaken kajukenbopr if you limit yourself to one style you are just puting yourself behind others who imbrace new concepts and ideas.

Fist visible Strike invisible

When I train with different styles I try to go into the class with an empty tea cup. I take that knowledge, put it into my teacup and take it home. Then I dump that teacup knowledge into my large tea pot. Now I have made my own brew of tea from the combination of knowledge I gained. If you look at other styles with a full teacup, you can never have a drink of their tea.

no, you can go to tournaments and learn form sparring and fighting other styles....

you dont need to train in all styles.you need to try to be the best at the one style you are realy good at.

I've trained with other styles, they show me what they can do, I show them what I can do. We stay pretty much the same, but we know what to expect fro each other so I dont neglect my training and I train so I'm able to react to anything unexpected. If I cant, my martial arts training is lacking...