• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Grappling vs. Striking

What do you think is the right balance of grappling to striking skills for the street?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the right balance of grappling to striking skills for the street?

• 100% Grappling
    • 75% grappling 25% striking
    • 50/50 grappling/striking
    • 25% grappling 75% striking
    • 100% Striking

Fact #1

The other guy doesn’t always have his friends there to back him up nor does he always have a weapon with him

Fact #2

The fastest way to end a fight is to knock the guy out on his feet. The second fastest way to end a fight is to take the guy to the ground and knock him out there.

Fact #3

Ending a fight fast is the best way to win a fight.

A minute of experience on the street is worth a year of training in the dojo.

If you can’t sprawl and brawl, you can’t street fight.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been in hundreds of street fights.

The only street fights I ever ended up on the ground from were ones that I knew I had my back covered and I could bring it to the ground, for fun, and only because I wanted to do it.

That's incredible!

A minute of experience on the street is worth a year of training in the dojo.

If you can’t sprawl and brawl, you can’t street fight.

nice facts..

too bad they are not facts.

and basically your opinion.

Fact #1..... in and of itself i can buy, but there is always something that has the ability to interfere with you... whether it be human, animal, or object.

Fact #2.... I disagree, there are plenty of ways to end a fight quick without knocking someone out, there are also many ways to end a fight quicker then taking someone to the ground and knocking them out.

Fact #3.... I disagree, there can often be situations where ending a fight is not the best way to end a fight, lets say you get a one punch knockout of someone, there is a damn good chance they will think it was a lucky shot and be gunning for you after they come back to conciousness.

but from biting i dont intend to end a fight but to get a reaction to open the door for something else

I realize that - it's like pulling the skin on an opponent's ribs while grappling, and other things wrestlers do - it hopefully creates an opening. Problem is, it also ticks your opponent off.

look dude i am a striker at heart

I am too. prior to the other thing listed, I spent several years in karate, four years in longfist and two years in jun fan.

Its about the flow from one thing to the next if this dont work maybe that will

I agree with that as well - to an extent, anyway.

Luckyboxer..not sure if you were responding to my post directly..or just generally to all the posts.

For Police work...It's likely to hit the ground. This (as I said before) is a seperate situation. Different factors involved.

For street fights..who knows..I've seen the whole range from fairly impressive- to basically sloppy/* embarassing attempts at a real fight...stand, ground, up and down...

I would also prefer to stay on my feet- or at least when possible. I still wanna know all my ranges....but I'd rather try /regain my feet, than resort to a guard every time....

Maybe later...

In police work, we do take a lot of perps to the ground.....usually hard....but then....thats if theyre resisting.....otherwise...its the standing, up against the wall/car kinda thing

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

i believe just the opposite actually...in grappling theres always going to be that big heavy set guy you just will never be able to manhandle, on the other hand...no matter how big the guy is, a good centerline punch to the sternum will implode any guy's chest with just 30 pounds of pressure, no matter how much he's ever weight lifted, because no muscle will ever cover that bone....not to mention knee caps, i would go with 95 percent strking and 5 percent ground. they have addition bjj classes at my wing chun place now, ground work is considered your absolute last resort, so of like your M-16 compared to the survival knife hidden in ur boot.

style:wing chun

Don't try to predict the outcome of a fight. just let nature take its course.

thing about grappling on the street is not that you necessarily want to do it, though sometimes if its one on one a quick take down and pound/break/choke might do- but sometimes if your just unlucky, you end up on the ground anyway.

or if youre outnumbered- you dont want to get on the ground at all really, but if you do wind up there you want to get back up as quick as possible, in which case ground training certainly comes in handy.