• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Grappling vs. Striking

What do you think is the right balance of grappling to striking skills for the street?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the right balance of grappling to striking skills for the street?

• 100% Grappling
    • 75% grappling 25% striking
    • 50/50 grappling/striking
    • 25% grappling 75% striking
    • 100% Striking

Ideally I'd like to spend about a third of my training time on striking, a third on the clinch and a third on the ground, so I voted for 75% grappling 25% striking.

A minute of experience on the street is worth a year of training in the dojo.

If you can’t sprawl and brawl, you can’t street fight.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember in 95% of real fights you only go to the ground when you can't finish it off in the clinch. The poll should have clinch range or ground range. Look at the UFC the top fighters stand up. Only the grappling matches feature ground finishes.

Remember in 95% of real fights you only go to the ground when you can't finish it off in the clinch. The poll should have clinch range or ground range. Look at the UFC the top fighters stand up. Only the grappling matches feature ground finishes.

Who told you the top UFC fighters stand up?

Ricco Rodriguez is a Machado BJJ black belt

Frank Mir is a BJJ brown belt

Matt Hughes trains with the Militech Camp and is a G&P wrestler

BJ Penn is a BJJ black belt

Tito Ortiz and Randy Couture are both G&P wrestlers

Its up to the fighter whether he prefers to stand and strike or take the fight to the ground, but in either case, its best to be well versed in grappling.

..as a diehard MMA fan and BJJ lover...I dont think he was getting at none of the UFC tops being grapplers....but I have noticed a shift in the ability of guys to really avoid the takedowns, alot more fights have been standup.

I'm trying to balance a 2:1 ratio -- Striking to grappling, but I'm gearing for more street focused confrontations....

You def'n need both. personally, I want to duplicate Liddel's ability to survive on the ground..but regain your feet when possible....he's a freak.

Maybe later...

I went with the 50/50 choice......I think it is important to train yourself to be equally comfortable with a "stand-up, punch and kick" situation, as well as standing or ground grappling situation.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

I'd say the reason MMA was dominated by the ground guys is because the strikers just didn't know what the hell was going on. You watch it now and things are becoming a lot more balanced again.

I voted 50/50 in the interests of versatility :)

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly

In the 1990's UFC matches it was all about grappling. They lost viewers. Promoters encourage striking becasuse it sell. You have to be a sophisticated grappler to understand what goes on when the fighters are positioning on the mat. Any viewer can watch and enjoy the strikers. Because they pay more fighters are willing to stand up and duke it out. It hurts more but it means more fans and more money. UFC is after all a sport in which viewers dictate who fights.

In the street fight few opponents are sophisticated grapplers. Most go to the ground only because they are clumbsy, they get tired and fall, or they get off balance and stumble down. According to published police reports about 75% stay upright. If you study how to fight and you are physically fit you win by ground or stand up. The question is how stupid are the street fighter bums in your area? Train for them not to fight in the UFC. UFC is a sport. We see what the promoters think we the buyers/consumers will enjoy and buy again. Ever see a ring girl at a street fight? UFC is entertainment. Don't base your opinion on a fantasy.

Ideally I'd like to spend about a third of my training time on striking, a third on the clinch and a third on the ground, so I voted for 75% grappling 25% striking.

I went 75/25 the other way, with the key variable being for the streets, not for the ring. Do you really want to go to the ground on the street with all the "quality spectators" that the street usually turns up?

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Per the stats of Police reports showing 75% of fights are standup.....

I've seen many Police/studies showing 70-90% (police confrontations) going to the ground.

Police needs are often different...the likely ultimate objective is restraining (for the majority of confrontations) ...your fighting to get cuffs on....thats often easier on the ground ..against a car ect...so I think these types of reports are kind of unique/seperate from street assaults ect.

Maybe later...