• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Drills, Games, Exercises for Class

What are some of the things you like to do in class?

My students (kids class) like to build obstacle courses in between bag work and sparring or grappling. We set up a series of mats to be jumped/rolled over, bags to kick, etc. I give them 5 minutes or so to build the course, and they have to work as a team. It's amazing how they'll split into groups to move the heavy bags and mats around. If they have a good course when their time runs out, they get to run it. If they don't, we do speed drills. So far they've never failed to build a good course!

This also helps to calm a group that's really "energetic" because they'll tire themselves a bit running the course. Then, they're more able to focus and learn because some of their surplus energy is spent.

Grappling is also popular, as is a game we call "Whack a Mole", were I strike at them with a padded club and they have to execute the proper block (high section block, side block, or low section block). Agility drills and relays are also popular, but I squeeze in plenty of technique, patterns and bag work, too. The other games are just ways to improve balance, reflexes and agility, but hide the repitition that's so necessary -- all while sneaking in a technique or two.

What about everyone else??

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I like that obstacle course idea. It sounds like a lot of fun. One of the games we play is our version of Simon. We number the basic footwork 1 - 4. One being moving forward, 2 backward, 3 switching and four, leaping in the air. Then I call out the numbers adding one each time. It really helps the kids focus because they don't want to get out and they wind up practicing some important basics that are otherwise kinda boring. We had one group get up to 24 moves before they messed up!

TKD WTF/ITF 2nd Dan

"A Black Belt Is A White Belt That Never Quit"

With our small children we will for example cut an orange and a green belt into two strips about 12 inches long and tuck one on each side of their belt. Put them into a sparring stance and the object is to be the first one to grab your opponents strips. They absolutely love it and they don't even realize they are learning to close the gap between an opponent and a technique. They are so free because there is no fear of getting hit.

one of the things i do in warm up now and then is,tell the kids to jump up and down on the spot,then i take off my belt and with it doubled over and wrapped round my fist at one end i try to sweep their feet with the dangled end of the belt ( making sure i don't catch them ) the way they think they don't get hit is by jumping over the belt as it comes in.then after doing the rounds with them i swing the belt at their heads,so they have to duck ( properly with their back straight though ) then i go round not telling them if i'm going low or high with my belt. now and then you catch one of students but they don't get hurt if your controlled,its great fun aswell.

the kids learn well from it,such as:

fitness.

confidence.

balance.

strength.

quick reaction.

good defence.

try it and see.it works well in the senior class aswell but obviously harder.especially when you tie a knot on the end thats flying at them..

• 3 weeks later...

I like the sumo game. Tuck a belt into the back of the kids belts. tell them to either push their opponent out of the cirlce, or grab the belt that is tucked in behond their opponent. Kids dont know that they are learning lateral movement.

If my survival means your total destruction, then so be it.

with our little kids classes, we do varitaions on the obstacle course tha was previously described. My favirte game to do with them is when there are 6 or more students, put them all in a circle. One instructor stands in the middle with some kind of pad or bag, we use century Blastmasters, and hold the bag infront of one kid. They have to do some kind of kick, and once they do, the instructor turns to a new kid. Going in a random order keeps the kids on their feet and every one gets a few laughs. :P