• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Favourite form/kata for use in competition

aefibird

What's your favourite form(s) that you use when entering competitions?

I like Jion, Kanku Dai and Rohai for when I enter MA competitions.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I compete in USTU (WTF) competitions, so its either Ko-ryo or Taebaek.

In AAU competitions I'll do Yoo Shin.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Oh by the way Aefibird, I could've sworn i've seen you say you practice shotokan...or I might be imagining things =\. But I don't think Rohai is an original shotokan form is it? Do you also practice wado or goju or something? Sorry I might just be making thing up :lol:

I only competed in one tournament, but have been a judge in them for around 25 years now. The kata I did was Chinto and I got 2nd place against some very stiff competition, and against about a dozen black belt friends from various systems.

Personally, I think whatever your own personal favorite is, and the one that you "get into" the best is a good choice.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• 2 weeks later...

Rohai is called meikyo in most Shotokan schools.

My form for competition in traditional forms is Sochin, in open forms I use a kata called .38 special(so named for the number of kicks in the kata).

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

I've only been in one competition.... I did Fuju Kata Di Ni.

Why Because it was the first kata I learned and thought "Hey, I'm doing Karate, I love this stuff."

"There is a time in every mans education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse,... " Emerson

86years in the making..... Red Sox World Champs.....

Oh by the way Aefibird, I could've sworn i've seen you say you practice shotokan...or I might be imagining things =\. But I don't think Rohai is an original shotokan form is it? Do you also practice wado or goju or something? Sorry I might just be making thing up :lol:

To my knowledge, Rohai is taught in Shotokan.

R. McLain

Rohai is called meikyo in most Shotokan schools.

Kumite988, yes I do train in Shotokan...mostly.

My instructor has trained in and is a Dan grade in several different styles and we learn kata from other styles as well as the 'regular' 26 Shotokan. We also look at kata that are Shotokan kata and we compare them to other versions of that kata (such as Kanku Dai and Kushanku for example) and look at the changes and the various applications that can be learned from all the different versions. Sensei incorporates many aspects into our training that many people don't usually associate with Shotokan.

However, it's usually only from brownbelt upwards that Sensei will teach his students "non-Shotokan" kata. He likes everyone to get the basics nailed first before they learn 3 or so different versions of the same kata.

Sensei thinks that is is good for us to learn from more than one style of karate, rather than just 'closing ourselves off' with only learning Shotokan techniques.

As well as the aspects of other karate styles, Sensei also incorporates JuJitsu, Judo, Aikido, Western Boxing and freestyle streetfighting techniques into our training.

We're Shotokan in name only, really, as there's so much other stuff mixed in there that is really is like training in MMA (but with gi and kata incorporated;))

No, Rohai isn't usually taught in Shotokan - it's called Meikyo and is slightly different from Rohai.

I prefer Goju Rohai to Shotokan Meikyo, that's why I usually perform Rohai in comps, over Meikyo. Sometimes I prefer the Shotokan version of a kata, but the Goju or Wado or Isshin version of another.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!