• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good kata execution

Hawkeye

What do you think is the most important aspect(s) of performing a kata? Along the same vein, have you ever seen someone perform a kata and the way they did it made you say 'W :o W" ? What was the 'WOW' factor?

Every timely action will bring results ... Without difficulty. Every untimely endeavor will fail ... If the moment is premature or if the right moment is missed. - The Tree Poem

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To perform kata at a level so intense, the first thing I believe that is needed is unbreakable concentration. You need that look that makes other people feel unworthy to stand in your presence. (not that I would really want anyone to feel that way) The next thing I believe that is needed is extened knowledge of the kata, like the history and applications to help you understand why this kata was created and what each move or series of moves are for. And then, finally, there is Mushin, at least I believe that is what it is called, in other words, Mind-No Mind. Be able to perform the kata in your head without the constant short movements of a few reminder hints.

To answer the other question, yes I have seen a kata that was like WOW! I thought I was going to sit in the same postion even after this person was done with the kata playing it over and over in my head, wondering how I could attain such a wonderful demonstration of this kata. I was absolutly mesmorized. It was like time had stopped for me. And mind you, I was a purple belt. So I was not stranger to this kata. I have seen it performed many many times, but this just took the cake.

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

I've definitely been there! The first time I saw my sensei demonstrate Heian Shodan for us when I was a white belt... *whew* My mouth dropped open and stayed that way through the whole thing. He did it with such power and control... I would have been terrified to be standing in his path right then. Just thinking about it makes me feel... I dunno! :D *shiver*

I think confidence is that something which gives a kata that extra OOMPH!

By the way, great question, Hawkeye!

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

1- Tesuguo Sakumoto his power/speed/control is one of the best ever in the world

(Ryuei ryu) http://www.wonder-okinawa.jp/023/eng/010/002/001.html

2- Yoshimasa Matsuda the power he puts in his katas is unbelievable at the age of 65. (shorin ryu Myobukan)

3- Ronald Lindsey, his power and hand/foot synchronization in open hand white crane katas is excellent (Matsumura seito / white crane karate)

4- Glen Thompson my sensei(i have had 4 karate senseis till now) for his excellent technique and ki one of the few senseis who made me impressed with his kata (shorin ryu kobayashi / white crane karate)

5- Mario Higaonna his moves are elegant and his hip movements are great.(okinawwan Goju ryu)

I agree with ninjanurse's view - all those are important when performing a kata or watching someone perform one.

Also, the person has to look comitted to what they're doing - watching someone who is performing a kata with correct strength and execution of technique is all very well, but if they're ruining it by only looking half-a$$ed about what they're doing then it'll ruin it. I know that will come under the heading of Focus, but I just wanted to make the point that a persons face can say a lot about how they feel about the kata. In competition that can be the difference between winning and losing too.

As for watching someone perform kata, I always enjoy watching my Sensei practice. His technique is amazing.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Good breathing technique is probably the biggest wow factor for me, not a lot of people can do it well. However when you do, it seems that the person can flow through the kata a lot better without looking robotic.

Power

Intensity

The "snap" sound of the gi.

Personally, I think you all missed it. The biggest WOW factor is "Visualization...!" If you visualize your kata as if you were truly defending yourself or in a battle, that visualization expells to the audience when doing your kata. The audience typically doesn't know that much about technique, they just react to what is abnormal or impressive to them.

I use to be part of a demo team and when doing a particular kata (My mind slips me as to which one is was. Getting older sucks on the memory...) I use to make sure I would do my mid-kata Kiai facing the audience - I use to have a pretty moving Kiai. Anyhow, the audience would always jump back when I did that. I can assure that will be one of their talking points amongst themselves after the demo. This is what will stick in their mind.

Remember that kata has always been a form of performing to an audience as well as perfecting technique. It was an early form of dance when MA was outlawed - that's how they were able to continue to train.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

The biggest WOW factor is "Visualization...!" If you visualize your kata as if you were truly defending yourself or in a battle, that visualization expells to the audience when doing your kata.

Awesome point. I agree completely. I think it is important to visualize everything that we do in our training. That way you are not simply going through the motions but understanding what it is that you are doing.