• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Switching from Forward to Reverse Grip in knife fighting.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
...do you know any good ways for switching from a forward grip to a reverse grip in knife figthing?

I've seen ma's who do forms competition spin the knife in their fingers. Looks good, but I don't recomend doing it ina fight- which means I don't recomend training it either. Same with tossing the knife hand to hand (though it could have limmited use if your weapon side is injured). There is a big difference in just doing things to look good and performing them under seriouse stress, when you've lost your fine motor skills and your perception of time is altered.

If you must do these switches, I recomend practicing a simple flip. The simpler the better. And practice them with a training knife. Put something on every sharp edge that will leave a mark on anything it touches. Lipstick is good on dull metal trainers. If you end up with marks on you, you've just injured yourself. This is a good thing when practicing your moves also. You'll quickly learn that double edged knives should only be used in a saber or hammer grip, so learning to flip your grip with them is pointless any how.

One last thing. NEVER pick up your knife if you drop it! Train to attack and kill, or use it as a decoy or feignt if his eyes follow the knife. But you fight how you train, and under stress if you've trained to bend over and pick it up, that is likely what you will do in a fight.

Have fun!

Freedom isn't free!

Thank you for your input on this post. Your reply is very much appreciated. I agree, spinning a knife between your fingers doesn't seem very practical at all, as you said, especially in a fight. Ive experienced what you talked about as far as loss of motor skills in a fight, so I can really relate to your opinion of not doing flashy tricks, especially when training realistically.

"Man who stands on toilet, is high on pot."

• 2 weeks later...

I flip hand grips all the time with my practice knives.

nothing to do with finger-movement though, its like half-spinning a bottle on my open palm, by flicking mywrist sharply as i let go of the knife, and catching the handle as quick as possible on the half-spin, effectively switching the knife from front to back grips.

i learnt to do this by mucking around with arnis canes.

i dont really think theres any practicality to it unless your like a navy seal or similar, but it looks pretty flashy none-the-less.

dont try this with live blades until your an effective JEDI, even im not that stupid.... its a sure way to sever fingers..... :o

use a rubber or wooden knife.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I tell knife students to practice spinning, twirling and flipping their knife as much as possible.

Go from forward hammer grip edge up to reverse grip edge out to sabre grip edge down to reverse edge in. Flip and catch. Two turns and catch.

Why? Because I have developed my 'feel' for my knife (dexterity) to the point that if I'm starting to lose my grip on it, I can feel that and restructure my grip, or even recover it when it is almost completely out of my hand.

James Keating has a great little dexterity system the includes defensive and offensive postures. Why postures and not techniques? Because techniques implies using this stuff while fighting and that would be just silly.

I hope that by 'fighting' you really mean 'sparring.' Don't ever get into the mind set that sparring is = to fighting and prepares you for the ugly reallity.

having studied knife for awhile...(attack and defense). i would recomend not flipping or spinning a knife in your hand while using it. i would suggest choosing what grip suits you and train it.

" The art of Kung Fu San Soo lies not in victory or defeat, but in the building of human character." Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo

For me personally, I can't think of a circumstance right offhand that would require it.

If your requirement is for function, what function is it that would be suited by switching grips on the knife? If it is simply for form, why bother?

~A!

Smiling burns calories, and it toughens up your face.

http://mullaneycenter.com