• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Direct Kung Fu styles

What are some less "fancy" styles of Kung Fu? I'd like to get some other into my routine just for knowledge.

I study in Hung Gar and I'd like to know if there are any similar Kung Fu styles that don't involve stretched limbs, fancy kicks etc. Something direct and to the point, keeping everything "tight" so to speak, so I can add something new to my routine for fun.

Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks in advance! :D

Close Quarters Combat Tactics - Hope to see you there!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I guaruntee there's going to be a million Wing Chun guys posting this so I won't say Wing Chun since it's not my style.

As for non-stretched limbs etc; etc;, you're looking at more of the southern styles here.

Aside from that, I don't know.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

I guaruntee there's going to be a million Wing Chun guys posting this so I won't say Wing Chun since it's not my style.

Take Wing Chun! :D

(no, seriously)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Alot of the southern styles.. Any tiger ...Si li fut ...wing chun.. Southern mantis..most important thing is to find a good instructor worry less about the art.

most important thing is to find a good instructor worry less about the art.

Absolutely! Great advice - so true.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

oops!

the general information posted above is pretty good.

of the early tiger systems, Mok Gar was the hardest, and is extinct (i think). one of its surviving techniques is a forward-water-wheel/chaining running punch. it also used an angular method of pinwheel blocks.

Lau Gar, the next hardest, is practiced as its full art in england. in the states it is available as a hand form and a staff form.

Both of these have been absorbed by Hung Gar in the evolution of CMA.

Hung Gar is the Hardest of the Hard and the softest of the soft, therby allowing the student to apply the tincture of his body to the forms that most suit his ability.

you may want to look into combining tkd with yang tai chi before moving more indeapth into CMA which depend on the practicioner's fluidity. tai chi, specifically the Yang 88 manuever form, is much better for people who don't know how to move like a china man/woman who want to learn CMA to CYA. Once the principles of TCC have been mastered the principles can be applied to any form as long as the practice is ballanced: meaning that you do the forms both forward and backward or left and right-handed. being able to reverse your form before learning a new one is more important for long term training than becoming a master in three years.

Ah! Mantis Grasshopper, i think you would do very nicely on a bowl of rice!

I'll be sure to check out Wing Chun for sure, as it was on my "list". :P

I'm also looking into an internal styled art like Aikido, mainly for the spiritual side. The only thing holding me back now is time and money. Haha. I already know of a few well recognized places to take these additional classes in my area.

Thanks for all of the input!

Choy Lay Fut is all I have to say.

And let's not reawaken the century-old feud between Wing Chun and Choy Lay Fut now please. . . . . . .

have a look out for chow gar mantis as well.

Chow Gar is southern, is it not? May I ask what the difference between Chow Gar (southern mantis) and the northern style of mantis is? Apart from the "direct" approach, that is.

I'm just curious. :P