Rock--5ft'6 160lbs 15yrs old

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read many of his books, and books based on him. He did not believe in electro stim, he experimented with it. He believed in strength training for power, rather then size/appeal. While he may have done some weird stuff, he also was one of the most powerful men pound for pound.

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

I don't disagree with that. That doesn't make him correct however, just means he stumbled on something that worked for him. he curled light dumbbells daily - kept them at his desk... As we all know now, high reps with light weight is ot the way to get strong. The most efficient way to gain strength without mass is very low reps and very low sets with maximal weight. Lee thought that heavy weight led to big muscles. That, as we know, is not necessarily true.

Also, Lee thought that being bulky would restrict his ROM (range of motion) As we know today, this is false. muscular guys can be just as flexible as little guys - provided that they stretch, naturally. Many bodybuilders don't put alot of effort into a complete stretching regimen, but several other big athletes do. There are big MA, football players, etc who are extremely flexible, and I've seen bodybuilders who can do the splits. Once again, Lee was wrong.

Bruce was a strong believer in "functional muscle" but yet he did curls and pullovers? Isolation movements are not the way to building "functional muscle"

good mornings are good exercises but are known for causing back problems... lee injured his back by doing them with heavyweight and no prior warmup.

Like I said, I'm not trying to take anything away from him, but alot has changed since his time in the way of exercise science...

As someone else mentioned, focusing purely on the muscular aspect is flawed. Do I lift weights? Yes. Light with high repetitions and a lot of it focuses on both the muscle and the connective tissue. However, and I may be biased since I do Okinawan karate (don't get me wrong...a lot of Okinawan karateka are incredibly ripped, some surprisingly so for their relatively small frames), I like to really focus on using as little muscle strength as possible.

As this is the kickboxing, boxing and muay thai thread, I assume that a lot of this training is going both for the ring and for the street. Because the ring is a little different from the street, it really is essential to work those endurance muscles. Back when I was a boxer, we'd do all the standard boxing things (run insane amounts, insane amount of bag work, insane amount of pad work, insane...), but our coaches focused so much on form, which is why our team would always win nationals just about every year.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/