• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

push ups & high rep bench=punching power

Hindu squats done in massive repitition increase explosive power in kicks right?

so dont push ups and high rep bench press increase punching explosiveness?

My fists are fire,

My arms are brimstone,

My legs are steel,

My heart is the furnace.

Rock--5ft'6 160lbs 15yrs old

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hindu squats done in massive repitition increase explosive power in kicks right?

No.

No.

Doing high repetition exercises will increase your endurance only. Endurance has no effect on striking power.

Doing low repetition exercises will increase your strength. An increase in strength may help with power, but power is developed by striking the heavy bag.

Whether you do high or low rep, isolation exercises will defiantly hurt your striking power.

Guys with big biceps and big chests generally have poor striking power.

A minute of experience on the street is worth a year of training in the dojo.

If you can’t sprawl and brawl, you can’t street fight.

Try being "explosive" as you perform your push ups and bench press. But only do this with lighter weights. Endurance may be better than power in most bouts. Remember Ali versus Formen. Better still hit the heavy bag. You can get a progressive resistance effect from the heavy bag. The problem with weights and even the bag is that you can get a sense of being effective in a static position. Better to hit and move with speed than to have lot's of power and stay stationary. That's why I left karate. We were taught to concentrate on power but no one ever taught us to move. You have to hit and move, reposition, be where your opponent is not effective.

If you what endurance for punching the best way is to throw hundreds of punches each time you go to the gym.

If you what to have punching power the best way is to hit the heavy bag (with good form).

Being explosive with weights is a good way to get hurt. Weights are good for building strength only. Weights should never replace any part of your MA training. Weights should be considered supplemental training only. Improper strength training with weights is worse for your MA than not training with weights at all.

The punch bag who came up with the light weights/high reps formula for martial artists did not have a slightest clue about either strength training or martial arts.

Here is the link to the above quote.

http://www.myodynamics.com/articles/pavel.html

I agree and disagree with str33t guy - he is right in that indurance exercises are merely that and won't help your explosiveness or power, however, I disagree with his assessment of big biceps and puffy chest.

1. the bench press is not an isolation movement. Pavel even recommends the bench press.

2. the bis and tris are worked to some extent when you do other compound exercises, so they will be trained as well.

As far as building explosiveness with weights, they WILL do that. some of the most explosive athletes in the world are powerlifters. Why? because of the strength training. when you are training for power, you are really training your neuromuscular system - you are training it to contract harder...the harder the contraction, the higher the output - this aids in explosiveness.

You can get a progressive resistance effect from the heavy bag.

what? How?? no matter how hard you hit it, it weighs the same. There is no progressive resistance there...

The problem with weights and even the bag is that you can get a sense of being effective in a static position.

you are using the bag improperly if this is the case for you. watch a pro boxer, thai boxer, etc. - they move while they are hitting the bag. To get caught up in power only and not moving is a newbie mistake, basically.

Better to hit and move with speed than to have lot's of power and stay stationary. That's why I left karate. We were taught to concentrate on power but no one ever taught us to move. You have to hit and move, reposition, be where your opponent is not effective.

one of the most fluid guys I know is a karate practitioner. He trained in his hometown of kumamoto, japan. good karate is very fluid.

I disagree with his assessment of big biceps and puffy chest.

I was thinking about the guys that you see in the gym that are always benching and doing curls, but hardly ever do squats and don’t know what a dead lift is. Compare these gym rats to a boxer with his big back and triceps.

I agree that the proper use of weights can help a person develop explosive power. The key is PROPER use of weights.

There is a exercise for Chinese Kung Fu calling

Pushing Mountain Palm. Dont care about name.

Way of method:

In racing horse stance, using a stone ball (in modern time may

be a bowling ball is better) and placing a bit higher than waist

and set a slope. Pushing the ball upslope and breathe out &

relax to let the ball downslope.

This help to generate muscle and explosive power.

Of course, better with master instruction

Darkness grants me pair of dark black eye,

Yet I determine to look for Brightness