• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dogs

I agree intirely Ronin Samurai,

Kick it, kick it in the face.

(I am a cat person, They are the basis of cat style kung fu)

The cool summer breeze passes me by.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

(Thanks to whoever dug this thread up)...

I have to agree with the comments on bears, tigers etc... the only way to survive a physical encounter would be to not have one (or maybe to play dead after their first attack? If any playing was required).

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

PLaying dead only works for certain types of bear...the rest will stay on you...and if a cat thinks you're dead, well...ever see a cat play with a dead mouse?

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.

Hey for you dog lover, which I am one, Georgia House Bill 78 will make it illegal to own a Pit bull or any of its family members if it pass's into law. So if you think this is a stupid bill then go to georiagov.com of something like that and hollar real loud. Today it may be the bully breeds tommorrow who knows! Think of it this way, if they do it in GA why not your state :kaioken: :evil: :x :cry:

Hehe. In Toronto, which is in Ontario, which is a province of Canada, has banned Pit Bulls. The whole damn province of Ontario is passing a bill to ban them, thank god.

BTW, my mom said that over time, Pit Bulls have been bred so that their brains stay the same size, but their heads get smaller and smaller. They go into frenzies often because the pressure of the skull on the brain makes them a bit... out of it.

Current: Yellow Belt in GojuRyu. White Belt in Kabudo.

One word, MACE...lol

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

Large German Sheppard. I was touring in Northern Ireland and decided to go check out a castle. Turned out t was privately owned, complete with Guard Dog. Yay.

First off, let me say I am a dog lover and dogs love me. It is, in fact, one of the thing people notice about me. I'm like the frickin dog-whisperer.

When a dog attacks you, first and foremost...

1) DO NOT PANIC. If you freeze up, the dog will just have it's way with you and you're toast.

2) Maintain a confident aggressive stance. Make yourself large and don't yell, but BELLOW at the dog. HEY! DOWN! BAD! NO! Whatever, as long as you're using low, loud authoritative tones.

3) Don't run. Ever. ALL dogs are faster than you over short distances.

4) Flowing from the above, do not turn your back, or even turn sideways to a dog. You look more vulnerable. Stay Square on to them.

5) Stay on your feet. Don't get into a wrestling match unless you and the dog are in the same weight class.

Other than that, Aussie rules and it is the same as sparring with a human. Don't give him an obvious opening. Wait, watch and counter.

For my story, the dog came tearing out of the yard barking in the most manic, frenzied way I had ever heard. Training took over and calm washed over me. Damn I sound cheesy, but thats what happened. I started to back off and brought my arms up beside my head in semi-boxer stance, saying HEY! NO! DOWN! HEY! The dog lunged at my leg and I reacted, simultaneously pulling back and hitting him. I wasn't quite fast enough on the pullback but I did have that leg out of his mouth before he had a good grip. At any rate, as I twisted and pulled back, I brought a hammer strike down on the side of his head... HARD. It didn't put him out, but it stunned him for a couple of seconds and it shut him up.

I kept backing off but now I wasn't doing any yellling. I was too focused. He went back to his barking and snarling so I went back to my bellowing. He sounded mean but didn't come at me again. This went on for about another minute as I continued to back off. At this point the caretaker came out and called the dog off. He made up some bullsh1t story about kids stealing the BEWARE OF DOG signs. The caretaker looked confused at the fact I was still standing.

Anyway, thats my story. Just remember,

1) DO NOT PANIC.

2) LARGE aggressive stance.

3) Yell or BELLOW at the dog. HEY! DOWN! BAD! NO! Low, loud authoritative tones.

4) Don't run.

5) Do not turn your back, or even turn sideways to a dog.

6) Stay on your feet. Don't get into a wrestling match with a big dog.

7) Defend and counter. Weak spots include the nose, throat, eyes.

I know a fellow Kareteka who was attacked by a dog. The dog took a running jump at him. He sidestepped, putting a well timed fist into the side of it's head. The dog was dead before it hit the ground.

Snazzed

4yr Shotokan, 2yr Hapkido, 1mth Chito-Ryu.

The Hapkido place devolved into a McDojo during my stay.

"Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand."

One other thing I thought of while I was in the shower... Why is everyone so afraid of fighting a Dog? Why aren't we afraid of fighting eachother?

The way I see it, the big difference is intent. When we fight on the street, we know, or at least we THINK, the guy on the street or in the bar just wants to knock us down and take our pride or money. Maybe he wants to prove himself or reaffirm his ego... We know what his intent is, and it doesn't involve the city morgue. What is the dogs intent?

Do we know? Do we even think we know? Yes, most of us assume that dog wants wants us dead. Its going to fly at you with raging teeth and keep going until you don't move anymore. Is this true? Most of the time, no, it is not, dogs are just like we are. A trained guard dog or police dog is just like a trained Martial Artist.

Trained Guard Dogs or Police Dogs

We have been taught to approach a fight a certain way, and we have been trained to expect our adversary to respond in certain ways. The same goes for trained dogs. The are taught to attack people, grab the arm and haul them to the ground. Keep going at the arms or legs until the trainer says the magic word.

A trained dog expects you to run. When he grabs at you he expects you to fall and yell and stuggle because thats what happened in training. He doesn't expect you to fight back, hitting and kicking, causing HIM pain. He expects to be the one in charge and calling the shots. As soon as you hit them, most dogs will stop and think, "Whoa, he just hit me and he's not scared. Whats going on here? This isn't the way it's supposed to work!".

When it starts, you are the one in unfamiliar territory. You've never fought a dog before, how is this going to work? The dog, however, has been trained for this, he's comfortable, knows this situation and knows how to handle you. Once you hit him, the tables are turned. Now the dog is in an confused and in an unfamiliar situation, the playing field is level and you can fight him the same way you do a human... As a Martial Artist, this is YOUR territory! At this point, it is just like a street fight. You might be faster or stronger with better timing, or he might be. The winner will depend on the individuals, person and dog.

What about the dog thats not trained to attack, but for some reason, here he is, running at you, teeth out, about to pounce?

Untrained Canine Encounters

Most of the time we think we know a persons intent when they attack. What if we KNEW this person intended to put us in the ground. No really. He's coming, fists or knife out, and he wants you DEAD. How do you treat this situation? Well, tell you the truth, the same way you handle the dog. Be calm, defend and counter and best of luck to you.

Conclusion

However, most of the time, even the surprise dog attaks have their reasons they don't include killing you and they are usually the same reasons we have street fights. Territory, fear, mental instability. The thing to remember is that we are animals too. A trained fighter can react just as quickly as the dog and is just as strong. There is no reason to fear the dog more than you fear the person.

Hmmm... I think I'll submit this as an article.

snazzed

4yr Shotokan, 2yr Hapkido, 1mth Chito-Ryu.

The Hapkido place devolved into a McDojo during my stay.

"Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand."