• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i have not studied any form of kung-fu

so far i have only studied Tae kwon Do

but i am eager to start crosstrainning and considering a form of Kung-fu.

befor i do id like to get a bit of backround information on the art and what styles are best.

[ This Message was edited by: Hwa-rang on 2002-01-18 06:38 ]

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That all really depends on the individual, and seeing that there are over 500 document styles of kung-fu, it would be difficult to compare and state what styles are best.

Generally speaking like any art it is best to go watch classes of what is available in your area, and take what is best suited for you.

Two common but not always accurate divisions applied to kung fu are southern styles vs. northern styles and internal styles vs. external. Southern styles involve deep stances, strong hand work and low, fast kicks. Northern styles are typified by powerful high/flying kicks.

External systems use muscular force to generate power and have hard karate-like blocks, whereas internal systems use the mysterious 'chi' energy, relaxation and timing to create striking power and use softer parries.

The Shaolin temple is famous for its various styles of animal inspired Kung Fu and the amazing abilities of its soldier-monks, and has much to do with the history and philosphy of Kung Fu.

http://www.shaolin.com has good info on the Shaolin styles.

Some of the more famous styles are Wing Chun, one of the most popular systems, Praying Mantis, Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut, Chin-na (grappling techniques) and T'ai Chi Ch'uan.

The distinctions often become blurred, so the best tactic is to do a lot of research and have a look at your local schools.

Sitting silently

Doing nothing

Spring comes

And the grass grows by itself

[ This Message was edited by: Aikidoka on 2002-01-18 11:04 ]

I always like the northern / southern division. It is based off the saying "Nan quan, bei tui" which means "south fist, north legs"; however, the way in which Chinese can be read " Nan tui, bei quan" which means "south legs, north fist".

Styles like hung-gar which is southern styles, make use of wide stances, and kicks (typically charateristic of Northerns styles). Baguazhang a northern style makes very little use of kicking.

Internal and external differentiations are also ideas that evolved around the 1600's. Truthfully most are also misleading as to the meanings of internal and external.