• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Submissions on the street

What are the most effective submissions for use on the street?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most effective submissions for use on the street?

• Finger/thumb locks
    • Hand/wrist locks
    • Arm locks
    • Leg locks
    • Collar chokes
    • Naked chokes

Personally I like them because there is a wide variation of what you can do with them. They have both a mechanical and pain induced aspect...i.e. you can cause extreme pain through a joint lock and because you have easy leverage over a limb that is torqued or bent you can guide the assailant where you want them. And then there is the variation in force. You can use a lock to just trap an opponent, or use it to cause them significant pain to desist, or you can break the limb with them to cause the end of a fight.

Long Live the Fighters!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Venrix, I am I bouncer myself at a bar in center city philadelphia, and I never hesitate to slap a choke on someone if they get a little out of control- I havent had the slightest problems yet with that.

tufrthanu

As far as movement causing damage to the blood vessels and trachea, once again it depends heavily on how incorrectly the lock is applied. I've read similar things (85% decrease in blood flow from a choke), however keep in mind that strokes often have impeded blood flow for several minutes, which is why people often associate brain damage with strokes- during a choke, blood flow is restored rather quickly once you let go, and the trachea rests nicely in the crook of your elbow while performing a basic rear naked choke, making it almost impossible to damage the trachea- it takes 5lbs of pressure to cut enough blood flow to the brain to cause unconciousness- it takes 25lbs of pressure to crush the trachea.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Chokes are a good option IF you have witnesses who saw things the way you saw them. If not you could be in trouble. Having said that I think that a person who is properly trained and has done it on a resisting opponent before shouldn't have too many problems.

The only problem I can think of is the fact that very few people who train in an art that teaches chokes have actually choked someone all the way out. In the self defense class that I teach once my students become comfortable with chokes and get to an advanced level tap outs for chokes are not allowed. This may sound crazy, but in the streets if someone has a choke on you there is no tapping out. I want my students to fear being choked out so much that they put extra effort into not being caught in one.

I had a guy who said he felt like he was actually killing the person when he applied it. I asked him what he meant by that and he said that when you have the choke locked in and you started to feel them passing out it was the closest thing to killing someone he had ever experienced because it seems like the life is being drained from the person when doing it and he didn't feel comfortable with it. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm only going to ask you once...

• 1 month later...

i dont think anything involving the finnesse of a thumb lock or anything requiring fine-motor-skill to work is a good idea... the necks an easy target.... and failing that the arms.

• 3 weeks later...

wrist locks are the most easy and a good way to control your opponent, a naked choke is very effective but it is hard to get on your opponent's back.