• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Submissions on the street

What are the most effective submissions for use on the street?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most effective submissions for use on the street?

• Finger/thumb locks
    • Hand/wrist locks
    • Arm locks
    • Leg locks
    • Collar chokes
    • Naked chokes

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In order of preference:

Finger - not really on the list, for me wrist is #1, but you can almost guarantee the fight ending if you grab someones finger and bend in in any direction it's not supposed to go until you hear the loud snap of a bone, the pop of a tendon, followed by a loud scream. A good defense for a rear choke, if you have presence of mind and tuck your chin before your opponent's arm lands in exactly the righ position, grab a finger and go crazy before it's too late. [i know there are drug crazed maniacs out there and pros that can ge the choke the first time...]

Wrist - easier than an arm bar, doesn't require position in the ju-ji-katame position, doesn't require the hyperextension of the elbow to work - a plus if your opponent is strong and not in the mood to give you the lock. Most wrist locks go in the direction that the wrist bends and work because the wrist is 'over extended' rather than hyper-extended.

Elbow - but not ju-ji-katame

Shoulder - but only if the opportunity presented itself.

Throat - but only if the opportunity presented itself.

In any case, I would just go for what was there, I wouldn't have my mind set on any one thing, like, 'OK, I'm gonna choke this guy out!' because on the way to the choke I might have to pass up a few other viable techniques.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

To tell you the truth I think submissions on the street are not a good Idea, If i'm at a bar, my buddy picks a fight with you, you put him in a submission, it has effectively "locked" you up as well.

So I'm just gonna pick up a bar stool and hit you in the head with it :D

really, on the street, fighting dirty is a much better bet.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

Submissions are meant to be explosive! When you exacute them on the street it is similar to carrying a knife, as in, they are cut before they knew you had one. If you are well versed in submisions you can break whatever is presented, usually an arm, so fast even witnesses aren't sure what they,ve witnessed. The term "submission holds" is misleading you are not supposed to hold the person you are supposed to break them! Tapping is for sport and safety in the gym. :dodgy: :dodgy: :dodgy:

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,

Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both,

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, If I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven.

Such is the rule of HONOR!

Submissions are meant to be explosive! When you exacute them on the street it is similar to carrying a knife, as in, they are cut before they knew you had one. If you are well versed in submisions you can break whatever is presented, usually an arm, so fast even witnesses aren't sure what they,ve witnessed. The term "submission holds" is misleading you are not supposed to hold the person you are supposed to break them! Tapping is for sport and safety in the gym. :dodgy: :dodgy: :dodgy:

Yes, but isn't that fighting dirty?

I'm not saying training grppling is bad, just that I think staying on your feet is better in a nasty situation where you could face multiple aggressors. A standing submission tho, in which you retain more mobility, is probaly a better option. but thas imo, which doesn't really matter :wink:

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

I'm not saying training grppling is bad, just that I think staying on your feet is better in a nasty situation where you could face multiple aggressors. A standing submission tho, in which you retain more mobility, is probaly a better option. but thas imo, which doesn't really matter :wink:

I agree with SenseiMike

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

And a grappler is well aware of that which is why he'll be able to protect himself from being thrown to the ground.

In the event you fight somene bigger than you though, fighting on the ground would be the better option.

I checked my street fight hand book and it didn't mention anything about dirty techniques. So I think its still fight for your life.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,

Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both,

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, If I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven.

Such is the rule of HONOR!