• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Submissions on the street

What are the most effective submissions for use on the street?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most effective submissions for use on the street?

• Finger/thumb locks
    • Hand/wrist locks
    • Arm locks
    • Leg locks
    • Collar chokes
    • Naked chokes

Not to throw a wrench in the works or anything but from a legal stand point choke holds as a means of self defense are a really bad bad idea unless you are in certain life threatening danger i.e. someone has a knife or gun. It is too easy IMHO with an adrenaline rush going to choke to hard or too long. Remember with an air choke it's not difficult to crush the larynx in which case you are screwed. And with a blood choke the difference of a second or too can determine whether someone passes out or gets lasting brain damage. My two picks would be either arm locks like the hammer lock or wrist locks like the S shape lock or the outside wrist lock. These give basic control of the entire body both through pain compliance and body mechanics. The also take out of the fight one more limb that an attacker can use against you.

Long Live the Fighters!

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to throw a wrench in the works or anything but from a legal stand point choke holds as a means of self defense are a really bad bad idea unless you are in certain life threatening danger i.e. someone has a knife or gun. It is too easy IMHO with an adrenaline rush going to choke to hard or too long. Remember with an air choke it's not difficult to crush the larynx in which case you are screwed. And with a choke the difference of a second or too can determine whether someone passes out or gets lasting brain damage. My two picks would be either arm locks like the hammer lock or wrist locks like the S shape lock or the outside wrist lock. These give basic control of the entire body both through pain compliance and body mechanics. The also take out of the fight one more limb that an attacker can use against you.

If you know how to apply a choke properly there is no danger of lasting damage. Now if you are limited in knowledge and you're juiced on adrenaline, then yeah I agree.

But the last thing I'm thinking about in a true combat situation is if/when/how the other guy is going to wake up.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness."

-The Book of the Void (A Book of Five Rings)

"Men don't start fights, but they do finish them."

when you are in the streets there is no thinking involved, your opponent wants to hurt you and thats how it goes. I am trained to take care of myself...when a guy attacks you and throws the first punch you can counter and no it does not involve prison.... :wink:

Wow, are you out of touch with reality. Perhaps you should try reading some legal articles on self defense before you open your mouth. The truth is you are only allowed to meet force with force. You punch me I punch you, not you punch me I choke you to death. Now you may claim theres no thinking involved in the fight but how about thinking about it beforehand. I can gaurantee you if you use excessive force during an SD situation your jury will not take into account that you weren't thinking straight.

Long Live the Fighters!

I'm saying it happens more easily than most of the people on this topic are willing to admit, therefore, it's a bad choice unless there is a risk of death or grave bodily harm..i.e. not a drunkard trying to punch you at the nudy bar.

Long Live the Fighters!