• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Submissions on the street

What are the most effective submissions for use on the street?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most effective submissions for use on the street?

• Finger/thumb locks
    • Hand/wrist locks
    • Arm locks
    • Leg locks
    • Collar chokes
    • Naked chokes

I don't have a lot of experience with subs, but I picked naked chokes. Arm locks are my second pick.

A minute of experience on the street is worth a year of training in the dojo.

If you can’t sprawl and brawl, you can’t street fight.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id have to say that I generally choke a person out by first choice....Ill go for the throat and do a combination air/blood choke, just in case you have someone who can hold their breath for a while....nobody can deal with the loss of blood flow to the brain....6-10 seconds...out like a light. Actually, thats how I earned the nickname "The Sandman" as a bouncer.....I generally put them to sleep....when you think about it, it is the most "humane" thing I can do, other options being punching or kicking someone and knocking them out the "hard way".....As far as submissions in a fight, whether it be street or otherwise....yeah...they work....I know from 20 years experience as a bouncer. I have no "favorite" submission hold, just the one that presents itself best during the fight, whether its a wrist lock, armbar.....whatever is given to me....I take and exploit to the fullest.....I prefer to grapple while standing, which is what Goju Ryu promotes, but Im equally comfortable on the ground, bottom or top....in fact, not that I mind the good old "square off, punch and kick" type of fight, but Id rather have someone grab me.....it just makes my job that much easier. I find that when Im grabbed, its like a gift.....and I just luuuuuuuv presents....lol

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

depends on what happens and what you can get to first. if you wind up on the ground, at least with me, armbars are the most likely. standing ill go for a choke (or throw.) but you never know what happens until it happens. a lot of the time ankle locks and wrist locks just present themselves to you.

New to ju jitsu, but I love wrist and hand locks so far. Chokes would be my second choice, but anything that hurts, really, I'm not picky.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say wrist/hand locks. I'm a smaller guy, so these work well because it doesn't take a lot of brute strength, just a small concentrate of power and technique. Seeing big guys drop just by holding their hand is pretty funny too.

"Please do not drop your partner like a sack of potatoes. If anything, throw them hard with control." - my instructor

"Your karate is still useless." - my brother as he picks himself up off the floor

• 2 weeks later...

If it's a one on one fight I'll go for a choke as soon as it is open to end it quickly, but if it's multiple attakers and I felt as though my life was in danger I go with the unfailable gmaot technique. (get my * outta there) :D

I'm only going to ask you once...