• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushin karate bad points. What are they?

Dr. Flem

i didn't understoud the topic posted by yamesu ..... correct me if i am wrong , you are saying that kyokushin dosn't follow the instruction of sosai ???

Sorry for the confusion.

I was saying that Kyokushin IS the true teachings of Oyama Sosai.

OSU.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Osu! New around here and I'm surprised by the number of kyokushinkai karateka posting. We seem to be outnumbered by other stylists particularly shotokan karateka in the forums.

Nothing is perfect and kyokushinkai karate is no different. My biggest gripe is that after Sosai Oyama passed away the organisation broke up into a bunch of factions. Is it inevitable that a large organization splits up into rival factions? It's true with Shotokan karate, Aikido, etc. Curiously, Judo seems to have maintained its integrity. I suppose the fact that it's an Olympic sport explains its cohesion, a topic for another forum.

I'm also amused by the incredulity other stylists have about our tournaments and traditions. Shotokan guys in particular (don't mean to single you guys out, sorry- I just happen to have lots of shotokan buddies) always criticize kyokushin as either too brutal or that our punches and kicks must not be powerful.

For the people who are under the impression that our techniques lack power, I invite them to any kyokushin dojo to find out first hand. It seems point fighters and light contact sparrers equate the loud crack of a dogi and a menacing kiai with power. Kyokushinkai karateka's dogi rarely make that loud snap in kumite-usually because the arms and legs are still bent and pushing through the opponent. (I've heard cracking sounds on the mat on occassion, usually it's my ribs or the other guy's breaking) :(

The high incidence of injury is a fair criticism of Kyokushinkai. I would counter that it is karate after all and not tai chi or what a many of my friends practice. I suppose its like the difference between rugby and soccer-one is inherentyly more physical. It helps if you are rugged. If you aren't, then kyokushin is the place to be to get rugged.