• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushin karate bad points. What are they?

Dr. Flem

I used to dis kata after I left TMA to practise MMA.

Then I met some Ryukyu Kempo guys who had completely different enterpretations for the kata moves. Things that were taught as blocks and strikes in Japanese Karate and TKD turned out to be grappling moves/locks/pressure point strikes/take downs, even chokes. It opened up a whole new world to me.

They practise these moves against realistic attacks from a partner until they can get it bang on.

They also did full contact kumite.Anything goes. The training is hard and very painfull, and very practical for street SD.

It made my Previous training in kyokushin and MMA seem pretty tame.

It changed my veiws on traditional styles. I think alot of MMAtists have never seen these kinds of hard core old school traditionalists.

I think both ways are very effective, it just depends on personal tastes.

And there is alot that both sides could learn from each other if they would just lose their egos and open their minds.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't take much pain, then it isn't for you.

Full contact, no pads, training through the pain.

I have had oak dowels broken across my abs, and lower back. The idea is to not let the pain stop you, ever!

Black belt initiation is bing hit by the entire school (All Ranks and wieght divisions) in any fashion, at any power that each karateka wishes. It is a test of endurance, and character. :karate:

OSU!

I used to dis kata after I left TMA to practise MMA.

Then I met some Ryukyu Kempo guys who had completely different enterpretations for the kata moves. Things that were taught as blocks and strikes in Japanese Karate and TKD turned out to be grappling moves/locks/pressure point strikes/take downs, even chokes. It opened up a whole new world to me.

They practise these moves against realistic attacks from a partner until they can get it bang on.

:-?

With respect ,this is the way that I have trained and learned Kata in my shotokan school ,so I think instead of generalising the issue ,you should have said " things that I was taught as blocks and strikes in japanese karate ..."

never give up !

The Tachi-kata basic is Sanchin-dachi, all your waza are in Sanchin-dachi (as you see is tanren-geiko).

Sorry, I don't know this terminology! What is: waza, tanren-geiko, and could you remind me which kata is tachi-kata? Thank you!

"I think therefore I am" Rene Descartes

The only bad point I have heard about Kyokushin is it can get you burned out on martial arts. A guy I talked to had a student that went to Okinawa and wanted to train while he was there. So, instead of continuing Isshin-Ryu, he tried Kyokushin. After a year, he said this, "I have hit someone in every conceivable place and way that I can, with full, unadulterated force. I don't think I ever want to do martial arts again."

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Well if you trained with the people who really knew how to do a stlye very well and you did it very often I think anyone would get burned out. His is a very atypical case.

"I think therefore I am" Rene Descartes

[qoute=Shorin Ryuu]I think Mas Oyama was great. I don't think the system of Kyokushin carries the depth of analysis and understanding that he had though.

The Kyokushin system IS the in-depth analasis and understanding of Mas Oyamas teachings. Thats why Oyama Sosai put his name to Kyokushin. I still have a detailed grading syllabus personally constructed by Mas Oyama Sosai.

Some good reading on this topic are most titles by MasOyama Sosai, such as 'Dynamic Karate' or 'Advanced Karate'.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

i didn't understoud the topic posted by yamesu ..... correct me if i am wrong , you are saying that kyokushin dosn't follow the instruction of sosai ???

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike