• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushin karate bad points. What are they?

Dr. Flem

Osu!

When I learned Kyokushin I never had to learn to last a long time in a fight. Endurance is out weighed patients. “One Strike, Certain Death” was the lesson we learned, that was 18 years ago. The old masters and Sosai Mas Oyama gave us karate and within it was ultimate power. From Shuri-te and Naha-te came karate in small schools and large organizations they all divided into either the hard tradition or the sports fitness types. Factor in insurance and legal costs and it is harder and harder to find karate schools today where that kind of hardcore training is encouraged or even allowed. When I got my Shodan I worked hard and I earned it, I paid my dues in tears, blood & sweat pure liquid pain. When sensei retired I went to a new school and continued to train as hard as I could. But it was no match for the experience of Kyokushin. Years later I earned my Yondan and I opened a school and closed it I could not keep students. Some time latter I opened another, and split it into hard and sport and it is the sport that pays the dojo’s bills.

I still run a hard school the last class of the night is hard core and the students I have are great. My Sensei (Shihan) is thrilled to know that there are still hard training students. The problem is that everyone wants a ten minute training montage and some cool music for training. Not years of hard work and tradition. For those who can not go to a Kyokushin dojo I recommend World Seido Karate with Kaicho Tadashi Nakamura.

Osu!

Mitch

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kata

Not enough emphasis on Self Defense in some dojo

Some dojo do not put enough training on defense

to strikes to the face.

A few people would argue that too much time is

spent on Kihon, while more could be spent on

Grappling and fighter training.

Compared to some systems though, it is a pretty

good deal. Of course a little cross training will

make up for perceived deficiets in the system.

Alot will depend on individual instructors as well.

• 5 weeks later...

one big con ive heard of is that they dont do head shots. if youre not used to throwing and blocking head shots you have a huge gap in your skills.

still though, from what ive heard from what i consider to be reliable sources, kyokushkin is one of the better martial arts to train in.

My question is with kyukoshin tournement and the question of smaller against larger and open weight ,would you not agree with me that two people of diferrent size and weight face each other in a static stance and exchange blows without evasion ,the winner would be the bigger guy ? the smaller guy would have a terrible time if he just stand there and exchange blow for blow with the big guy. :)

no, there is awsome video footage from the world-open where lightwieght fighters knock heavyweights, even standing toe-to-toe, but the best i think ive seen footage of lechi kurbanov knocking out a Japanese fighter (HW) with a jumping-round-back-kick in the first 5seconds of the fight.

When I learned Kyokushin I never had to learn to last a long time in a fight. Endurance is out weighed patients. “One Strike, Certain Death” was the lesson we learned, that was 18 years ago. The old masters and Sosai Mas Oyama gave us karate and within it was ultimate power. When I got my Shodan I worked hard and I earned it, I paid my dues in tears, blood & sweat

thats the way it still is in the good schools.

Not enough emphasis on Self Defense in some dojo

Some dojo do not put enough training on defense

to strikes to the face.

A few people would argue that too much time is

spent on Kihon, while more could be spent on

Grappling and fighter training.

maybe so, but all martial artists take their training beond the hours of the dojo, we all have the capability to train at home, the way we want to...

also, dont listen to the jazz about no head shots, headpunches arent allowed in tournaments, yes, but even a good kyokushin tournie fighter knows headpunches. the first moves you prob learn at a kyokushin dojo = jodan-uke, ago-uchi and jodan-tsuki.

IMO the only con = not a whole heap of weapons kata, untill blackbelt, where bo-staff can be learned optionally.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Regardless of style the most important factor is the instructer and the school he runs . There are hundres of karate school of diferrent styles which have poor standards and this does not do the art any favours . I have trained in shotokan only but should I relocate to another place and find out a very good instructer running a Wado or kyokoshin or goju class and the only shotokan school is of poor standard ,I defenitley join the good school . If you find a good instructer who can teach you well then you should not miss that chance what ever his style . :)

never give up !

I train in kyokushin(IKO1), and the style fits me well. The reason why i chose kyokushin out of all the karates out htere was simple, at that time i didnt know well about karate so i just chose the very popular kyokushin.

I was watching k-1 on tv, and saw andy, filho they are from kyokushin, so that was my reason to choose kyokushin.

THe full contact rule is great and fun.

One bad thing which I dont like is that kyokushin is split to 2, they are IKO1 and IKO2. WHen Mas. Oyama passed away, Matsui became the head of the kyokushin ORG, however some people didnt like new Kancho(Matsui) being young so they left kyokushin to make a new kyokushin, its called "Shin-kyokushin", its also known as IKO2(International Kyokushin ORG 2) founded by Kenji Midori who won the IKO1 the 5th world open kyokushin karate tournament.

I personally think this shouldnt have occured, even if Midori didnt like Matsui but Matsui is the one chosen by Mas. Oyama, so Midori should have accepted that fact.

In the old kyokushin days, they invited all sort of fighters in the world open karate tournament. kung-fu, muay thai etc.. now they dont invite them i think.. it would be interesting to invite some thai fighters thou.

For the latest 8th world tournament, they invited some fighters from Seidokan Karate thou.