• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushin karate bad points. What are they?

Dr. Flem

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know lots of students well over 50 who train Kyokushin on a regular basis and spar on a regular basis. As to tournaments well we have an over 35 class at most tournaments and it is always well attended. To the question of a smaller guy overcoming a larger person, well the whole essence of Kyokushin is based on this concept. Hence no weight divisons in most International tournaments and the World Open has always been this way.

Dear friend ,first OSS ! and happy new year ! I enjoy exchanging points of view and I have most respect for all martia arts and practitioners .

My question is with kyukoshin tournement and the question of smaller against larger and open weight ,would you not agree with me that two people of diferrent size and weight face each other in a static stance and exchange blows without evasion ,the winner would be the bigger guy ? the smaller guy would have a terrible time if he just stand there and exchange blow for blow with the big guy. :)

never give up !

I've trained various- for 15 yrs or so. I had been doing mostly grappling of late, and realized I needed/wanted to keep up on my stand-up.

I visited and tried (weeks) various schools from WC to TKD to other Karate styles. Personally I didn't like any of them (no offence)

I tried a Kyokushin school, and thought it was great. I've since joined and it is my primary training art now. They incorporate a lot of Clinch/takedown stuff as well.

I do have a well rounded and competent teacher tho...which makes a difference for sure. I would highly recommend it. And I agree it goes well with my past MT- western Kickboxing I had done prior.

Maybe later...

In reply to jedimc,

KB actually requires you to be in a better shape than kyokushin in competitions because there are moe rounds and they are longer. Also the training in KB when you have a proper trainer can be near insane. You might want to debate how it is a watered down version of karate.

^^i think he meant technique wise, which i think we can all agree on kickboxing have much less techniques and is not as in depth as karate for example. Plus i disagree with you on the fact that kickboxing requires u to be in better shape than kyokushin. In kyokushin part of our grading system is completing multiple man kumites. For black belt depending on the school we must do a 10,20 or 30 man kumite, meaning 30 new opponents for 2 minute rounds each with no breaks.

Tournaments also require a great ammount of conditioning since we dont actually use any form of pads (gloves or anything), so our bodies need to be strong andv ery well conditioned to take the blows.

How can you say a kickboxer needs to be in better shape. World Open Tournament last day if you win chances are you will have fought 5 times. Minimum 3 minute rounds unless you knock out your opponent before this time, there can be two 3 minute extensions per fight and sometimes more depending on the referee. You do the math. Not only that but you are fighting different opponents each time of varying sizes and skill level. And this is the third day you have fought. To get there you have already fought at least three times over the last two days and have had lots of time to stiffen up and let the aches and pains take over. And I agree with DaChroniclez, if you have ever witnessed a 10,20,30,40, or 50 man kumite, it requires you to be phyisically as well as mentally prepared. Lets face it most people who undertake this are not professional fighters so to condition yourself to do this is a huge undertaking one that shouldn't be taken lightly. I have been told many times if you can do this kind of kumite you can do anything. Having done it and having witnessed it many many times over the years I am a firm believer in that statement.

"OSU"

Well first off i wasnt refering to multiple man kumites as i wrote "in competition" and i wasnt also refering to the World Open Tournament which doesn't really represent the reality for a high % of people. You also have to take in account that it depends of the tournament's rules. I have seen many one match kyokushin tournaments which consists of 1x 2min round. I have also seen 3 rounds matches, but in general (and that's only from my personnal experience), KB tournaments have either more rounds or longer rounds than kyokushin tournaments BUT in some kyokushin tournaments you have to fight more than once in the same day. Why doesn't it happen in KB? Simple, your face can't take that much hits in the same day. I know i might not be making a lot of friends saying this in the karate forum but that's the way i see it please don't take any offense in what i say in any way i'm always opened to debate my opinions.

Tournaments also require a great ammount of conditioning since we dont actually use any form of pads (gloves or anything), so our bodies need to be strong andv ery well conditioned to take the blows.

I am aware of that considering i fight in both styles. I also know that in tournaments you don't take hand blows to the head in kyokushin so you need to have a stronger body, while in KB you need to have a strong chin/nose.

i think he meant technique wise, which i think we can all agree on kickboxing have much less techniques and is not as in depth as karate for example.

I agree.

I know lots of students well over 50 who train Kyokushin on a regular basis and spar on a regular basis. As to tournaments well we have an over 35 class at most tournaments and it is always well attended. To the question of a smaller guy overcoming a larger person, well the whole essence of Kyokushin is based on this concept. Hence no weight divisons in most International tournaments and the World Open has always been this way.

Dear friend ,first OSS ! and happy new year ! I enjoy exchanging points of view and I have most respect for all martia arts and practitioners .

My question is with kyukoshin tournement and the question of smaller against larger and open weight ,would you not agree with me that two people of diferrent size and weight face each other in a static stance and exchange blows without evasion ,the winner would be the bigger guy ? the smaller guy would have a terrible time if he just stand there and exchange blow for blow with the big guy. :)

Yes that is why we train a lot of footwork to avoid having to fight toe to toe against someone bigger/heavier than you. I don't see where you get the image of Kyokushin fighters standing staticly exchanging blows.

Yes that is why we train a lot of footwork to avoid having to fight toe to toe against someone bigger/heavier than you. I don't see where you get the image of Kyokushin fighters standing staticly exchanging blows.

I got the idea from watching Kyukoshin tournements ,If you do extensive training in footwork then why is it not used in tournements ? It is like going to school and learn a subject but never take the test ,surely the tournement is the place to test the skills you have learned and practiced in the dojo !

never give up !