Opinions in best stance utilised in combat

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Combat - one giant step above 'fighting' and if you are thinking of stances in combat, it's because you've already lost and have lots of down time in the hospital.

Not if you do not think.

The right to keep and bear Arms.

The goal is to be able to throw any technique from any stance. If I ever get that good!

In a class room situation the fighting stance we use is feet comfortably apart and one slightly forward like a casual walk and hands held similar to a boxing postion, although I disagree with holding them right in front of your face. Holding them just a little lower invites the other person to strike and you should be able to get out of the way from that strike while at the same time mounting your own attack.

whatever that you felt most comfortable with.

Exactly, the best stance to use in combat is usually the one you find yourself unconciously taking. After training for a while, your body becomes used to the "stances" you train in. In addition, if you regularly train for fighting situations in your dojo your body will learn when to use which stance. One should never worry about what to do in a combat situation, it makes things more complicated than necessary. Just let your body and reactions take over.

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

• 1 month later...

traditional stances are cool, but i'm going to have to go with bruce lee on the by-jong. best on guard balanced and mobile stance hands down. my sifu used to argue a lot on the importance of keeping your feet flat and staying rooted so your dont get knocked off balance, like in more traditional stances. still, i'm with bruce lee on this one. the by-jong allows you to be more mobile, and faster.